Do I really need a MTB??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zoiders

So sorry to have offended you. Clearly somebody who rides mainly on roads with a little bit of gentle of road thrown in needs a MTB they don't like. Now it makes perfect sense.
No they need something flexable, especially as a hard winter is most likely again.

Which isn't most low end hybrids with cheap suspension forks, they ride like turds.

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

No they need something flexable, especially as a hard winter is most likely again.

Which isn't most low end hybrids with cheap suspension forks, they ride like turds.

I find it hard getting out bed on bad winter days let alone go riding a bike :rofl: (suffer from sad) seriously do not intend to use it in very cold months for long rides. I think is 60% road 40%off road

Norm

sometimes locking suspension alters bike geometry, i.e., throwing more weight onto the hands, might just have been the change in position.
I think that's the wrong way round, isn't it? Suspension (on most bikes) locks in the highest position, which makes the front end taller and will take weight off the hands.

Thus 700c wheels/tyres will cover more ground per pedal stroke
The size of the wheel is a small, possibly irrelevant factor when relating pedal strokes to the amount of ground covered. The main dependency is the gearing and MTBs (again, generalising) have lower gearing than road bikes. However, most people ride at a certain cadence so will select gearing to match.

700c wheels roll easier because they are generally fitted with higher pressure tyres, but this again relies on the relative specs as you can get high pressure road slicks for 26" wheels and knobblies for a 29er. The main difference, though, IMO, is that the larger 700c wheels will be smoother (if there's no suspension) over bumps, because of the physics of the larger tyre diameter.

...the forks tend to be rubbish if they are suspension and they don't take a full size 2" off road tyre either.
Whilst not agreeing with Zoiders' way of putting things across, I agree with his point about suspension. Cheap suspension forks are pretty nasty to ride and have a limited life span, as well as sucking up pedalling energy and adding weight.

I couldn't find a decent (IMO) fork fitted to anything under £450 when I was looking a couple of years ago but, conversely, I love riding the rigid MTB's and the Tricross off road, even without suspension. Most tyres over about 32mm / 1.5" (for 700c or 26" respectively) will soak up the nasty high-frequency vibrations riding on cinder trails and single track and they'll still be up to decent riding on the tarmac.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
The size of the wheel is a small, possibly irrelevant factor when relating pedal strokes to the amount of ground covered. The main dependency is the gearing and MTBs (again, generalising) have lower gearing than road bikes. However, most people ride at a certain cadence so will select gearing to match.

700c wheels roll easier because they are generally fitted with higher pressure tyres, but this again relies on the relative specs as you can get high pressure road slicks for 26" wheels and knobblies for a 29er. The main difference, though, IMO, is that the larger 700c wheels will be smoother (if there's no suspension) over bumps, because of the physics of the larger tyre diameter.
Yep I should have said generaly cover more distance per pedal stroke.

Norm

The Voodoos which Cubist links to are lovely bikes. However...

I have just seen this what does everyone think, could be a bargain...was in the £460 value brackets so components / forks / brakes shouldnt be too poor??
... the Myka is a good entry-level spec, IMO. The forks aren't the best, but they are lockable and the only have 80mm travel (enough for your intended use), which is better at that price than the forks which offer 100mm travel. BB5 cable discs are good, as is the drive train, BB etc.

However, the bike is now available at £370 new, with warranty etc

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

The Voodoos which Cubist links to are lovely bikes. However...

... the Myka is a good entry-level spec, IMO. The forks aren't the best, but they are lockable and the only have 80mm travel (enough for your intended use), which is better at that price than the forks which offer 100mm travel. BB5 cable discs are good, as is the drive train, BB etc.

However, the bike is now available at £370 new, with warranty etc

or here for £359.99 but they are open to offers :thumbsup:

Looks good. Go for it.

shullup you are jsut fed up with this thread now.... :rofl:

twobiker

Having shocks on my MTB means I can ride it sooner after Broken arm than my touring bike, also on a varied route of lanes, and narrow twistys both bikes averaged the same speed as there was not enough fast road for the tourer to benefit from its higher gearing.

Top Bottom