Do I really need a MTB??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
hi Mister, thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup:. Not really convinced on the Carrera, i think it has a twist gear change which I dont like and it has no susp?

If you don't like the Carrera then don't buy one.. If you don't want twist grip, or grip sh!t gears, then don't buy a bike with them (I hate em too). If you're used to suspension then maybe you'll miss it if you go fully rigid (regardless of what people say). I've never had suspension so I've never missed it, not sure if that's owt to do with having a steel frame rather than alloy.

The three choices you suggested... aren't they all a bit manly? Other than that, they look ok for the price. However, the best bet is go to your LBS at test ride a few you like the look of. Buying online may mean you'll have to set the gears and brakes yourself.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
If you don't like the Carrera then don't buy one.. If you don't want twist grip, or grip sh!t gears, then don't buy a bike with them (I hate em too). If you're used to suspension then maybe you'll miss it of you go fully rigid (regardless of what people say). I've never had suspension so I've never missed it, not sure if that's owt to do with having a steel frame rather than alloy.

The three choices you suggested... aren't they all a bit manly? Other than that, they look ok for the price. However, the best bet is go to your LBS at test ride a few you like the look of. Buying online may mean you'll have to set the gears and brakes yourself.

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

sometimes locking suspension alters bike geometry, i.e., throwing more weight onto the hands, might just have been the change in position. i suggest that, ergon grips, fatter tyres and lower pressures is all you need, cheaper than a bike; or is it a case of n+1 as well?

Ergon grips seem very comfortable thanks, I sold my bike so I cant make the changes you suggest. I am looking for a new bike, or even a good second hand one.

If you don't like the Carrera then don't buy one.. If you don't want twist grip, or grip sh!t gears, then don't buy a bike with them (I hate em too). If you're used to suspension then maybe you'll miss it if you go fully rigid (regardless of what people say). I've never had suspension so I've never missed it, not sure if that's owt to do with having a steel frame rather than alloy.

Yes I must be honest otherwise there is no point leading you in the wrong direction, I don't want to go fully rigid. Hybrid I think is the compromise. Those bikes I agree are a bit manly apart from the Cannondale being white is a bit less harsh but is at the top of my budget as was hoping to spend less, hence me asking me for your help if you had other bikes in mind. Want something more original, a middle ground. Im not a fitness fanatic this is my hobby so I want something that is pleasing to the eye as well as doing a decent job.

Im surprised that on such opinionated forum, everyone is leaning against the Carrera (yet dont see that many on the road) and nobody is coming forth with a broader view on other bikes on the market or even consider and give opinions on the ones I suggested?

If anyone has any linkys on bikes that could fit the picture or have experience on the bikes I suggested then thank you very much :thumbsup:

PS remember this would not be my only bike, I also have a full road bike for 'events' and longer road rides.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Ergon grips seem very comfortable thanks, I sold my bike so I cant make the changes you suggest.

Yes I must be honest otherwise there is no point leading you in the wrong direction, I don't want to go fully rigid. Hybrid I think is the compromise. Those bikes I agree are a bit manly apart from the Cannondale being white is a bit less harsh but is at the top of my budget as was hoping to spend less, hence me asking me for your help if you had other bikes in mind. Want something more original, a middle ground. Im not a fitness fanatic this is my hobby so I want something that is pleasing to the eye as well as doing a decent job.

Im surprised that on such opinionated forum, everyone is leaning against the Carrera (yet dont see that many on the road) and nobody is coming forth with a broader view on other bikes on the market or even consider and give opinions on the ones I suggested?

If anyone has any linkys on bikes that could fit the picture or have experience on the bikes I suggested then thank you very much :thumbsup:

PS remember this would not be my only bike, I also have a full road bike for 'events' and longer road rides.
OK so you want a hard tail hybrid. Do you want 26" or 700c wheels?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
going to embarrass myself (again) but Im not going to pretend I know better so what's the difference?? :unsure:

700c wheels are larger and tend to be narrower than 26" wheels (which are fitted to most MTB's). Thus 700c wheels/tyres will cover more ground per pedal stroke and tend to have less rolling resistance, but will not fair as well off road as a knobbly wide 26" wheel/tyre

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Have you considered looking at the 2nd hand market? You may well get a better bike with better spec for your budget.

Personally I can't recommend a specific model... I bought my steed 10 years ago and don't intend replacing it, so am not 'up' on what's available.

The best bet is putting in some legwork and visit bike shops... if you see something you like the look of (style matters!) have a ride on it. It may feel too long or a bit small or just right.. keep shopping around until you find one which ticks both boxes; looks good and feels good... if it's still bit manly you can always put a basket on the front.

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

700c wheels are larger and tend to be narrower than 26" wheels (which are fitted to most MTB's). Thus 700c wheels/tyres will cover more ground per pedal stroke and tend to have less rolling resistance, but will not fair as well off road as a knobbly wide 26" wheel/tyre

oh I knew that much I thought that there was more to it! :tongue: The bikes choices that Im being given are endless so I better narrow them down :tongue: let's say 700cc

Have you considered looking at the 2nd hand market? You may well get a better bike with better spec for your budget.

Personally I can't recommend a specific model... I bought my steed 10 years ago and don't intend replacing it, so am not 'up' on what's available.

The best bet is putting in some legwork and visit bike shops... if you see something you like the look of (style matters!) have a ride on it. It may feel too long or a bit small or just right.. keep shopping around until you find one which ticks both boxes; looks good and feels good... if it's still bit manly you can always put a basket on the front.

Yes I had a look on a few sites and here classifieds but I need to first decide on what bike (or maybe narrow down to two) at the moment Im wasting my time ogling at bikes which I dont know if is suitable or not. If I could have my way I would have one for every cycling style!!:biggrin:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
oh I knew that much I thought that there was more to it! :tongue: The bikes choices that Im being given are endless so I better narrow them down :tongue: let's say 700cc

Then I think you are going to struggle to find such a bike that has not been customized. You can get 29" wheeled MTBs but they are still pretty expensive at the moment.

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

was it a leading question then?? :wacko:

hold on a sec!

Felt Tyre:Felt X:City 700 x 37c
Specialized Tyre Specialized Borough XC Sport, 700x45c
Cannondale Tyres Continental Double Fighter 700x37c

I give up! :sad:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian