Do I really need to carry a chain link tool ?

Should one carry a chain link tool ?

• Yes

Votes: 64 68.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 31.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How is this thread still going? Oh, yeah, because of people like me :biggrin:

The first time I changed a cassette and chain, I got the breaker that came with the halfords tool kit. I couldn't make it work, so pulled out the Topeak Hexus, and it broke the chain in seconds. So I am pleased I had it for that reason alone.
Whether you take one is a matter of your self reliance and your risk tolerance. Something can always happen to make your bike unrideable. Most of us wouldn't go out without a spare tube and an inflator - and some . I'd carry 2 tubes, a patch kit and a tyre boot before a chain breaker. I don't carry spokes or a chain whip, so there are some breakdowns that could easily happen that I am not prepared for, but I know I won't that far from civilization in most of the areas I cycle, so walking for help is always an option.

Now I think about it, an external battery for my phone is probably my most important accessory after the essentials. A phone with a charge + a signal + credit card is the most versatile repair tool.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Years ago I was one of the ride leaders on a school bike ride. One kid had a bike in such poor condition that I had to shorten his chain. But eventually we had to call for school minibus to collect him. I was the only one with chain tool or any toolkit at all. I always carry toolkit, now multitool, levers, tubes etc. even on short rides.
Last year I stopped to help a fellow cyclist walking with his bike. He refused any help whatsoever. Preferring his 3 mile walk home rather than me offering to give a tube and offer to fix (fairy attack) for him.

Top Bottom