Do I really need to carry a chain link tool ?

Should one carry a chain link tool ?

• Yes

Votes: 64 68.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 31.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My multi tool has one. Used it once on my own bike long ago but have bailed out a number of others over the years. Mostly with Shimano chains where they have been poorly joined.
If you’re in the situation where the extra 20g is important I guess your team mechanic will be along in a minute.
Luckily on the one occasion when I broke a chain a team mechanic did arrive, in the shape of a cyclist who was in his car. This was in the days when "Proper" cyclists were few and far between and there was a very strong sense of camaraderie between followers of the faith. We shoe horned my bike into his car and I got a lift home, repaid with tea and cake.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I`m bloody useless at anything mechanical on my bike but I do have one of these - I`ve googled many times how to use it and am still baffled lol. I also carry one of those little spare links - if my chain breaks, why can`t I use that to cobble together the chain to get me home?
You'll need to remove the broken link. They don't fall off in one piece so one end will still be riveted in place.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I`m bloody useless at anything mechanical on my bike but I do have one of these - I`ve googled many times how to use it and am still baffled lol. I also carry one of those little spare links - if my chain breaks, why can`t I use that to cobble together the chain to get me home?
Because the chain may not, make that will not, for sure, elegantly open up itself for you to insert a quick link.
It will most probably be mangled, and/or broken at the wrong point to simply add a quick link for it to work again.

Milzy

Guru
I’ve never ever had a link break on me. I’m too light with too little power. I like to use FSA team chains.
Now my chain will break after this post :sad:

I carry all I need for cycling in 1 or 2 bike bags, and it's hardly a minimalist approach, but I choose not to carry a chain link tool, because I don't see the need.
Accept that other people may use bicycles differently to you.
Up to you legs. It wasn't a command. Just advice/view.
I have by the by never had a chain break but I have led a ride where someone trashed their rear mech and needed their chain shortening. Come to think of it, the blue ian was on the ride. Maybe you will end your days lucky if you avoid his jinxed presence.
Have also had a freak quicklink detach itself. Managed to find the two bits though I always carry a spare. Not up an orifice though.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've always carried one, I think the last time I broke a chain was back around 1990'ish, I recon I've broken a chain about 2 or 3 times altogether, and I've been able to bail people out several times.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I tried that and I just couldn't get it to work. Must be a special nack. I use pliers.

In my experience it works well provided that you remember only to hit only one plate of the quicklink (the object being to slide it relative to the other side). If you hit both plates simultaneously, that's not going to work.

Quicklink removal.jpg

mgs315

I’d say my feelings on the matter are similar to any fixing tool. No, you don’t need to carry any of them provided you don’t ever have a situation where you will need them but it doesn’t hurt to carry them just in case. It’s the same logic as thinking it’s a waste to carry two inner tubes on a long ride where you don’t puncture.

Considering the options are saving a second or two on a long Strava climb over a long walk home it’s a no brainer.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I've only had one chain break on me and I suspect it was due to me not rejoining the link properly after splitting it to clean it.
My current crank bros tool has a built in chain tool but I find it absolutely impossible to break any KMC chain with it. Here's hoping nothing goes pear shaped!

D

Deleted member 1258

Strangely, I checked that I had mine with me before I left the house this morning.

Must stop reading threads like this . . .

I did the same when I went out yesterday, then thought it would be a good idea to check my toolbag generally, then thought it would be I good idea to replace the glue in the puncture kit, I can't remember the last time I used it.

Top Bottom