Do I really need to carry a chain link tool ?

Should one carry a chain link tool ?

• Yes

Votes: 64 68.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 31.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The error there, surely, is buying a non-reusable quick link in the first place? I mean, what is the point of a quick link if you can only fasten it once (genuine question)?
Good point! I`ve also had chains with 4 or 5 quick links in, been opened up a few times, never a problem

Mr Celine

Discordian
I sometimes chuck some extra tools in my saddlebag when going for long or remote rides and this usually includes a chain tool. I've no idea why I do this as due to arthritic fingers I cannot split ten speed chains without putting the tool in a vice, and I can't fit the vice in my saddlebag.

And onyway, I've never broken a chain.

KneesUp

Guru
My guess would be it was fitted wrong.
I snapped a new-ish chain at traffic lights too. It was not at the link I had joined it - I assume it was a manufacturing defect (i didn't find the broken link, it was dark and busy) I was less than a mile from home, so I walked. I take one if my ride takes me further away from home than I'd be happy to walk back.

xzenonuk

Veteran
i have never broke a chain and i have started to carry a chain tool on the saddle bags of both my bikes, i carry a few spare quick links in case a chain snaps but with out a tool i would be screwed for removing a broken one to fit the quick one.

last thing i want is to be over 20 miles from home and kick my ass for not having one when i need it since it is so small.

when i was a kid i seen my sisters bike chain snap, it was not good, just thankful while up the bing she wasnt been mad like me and my cousin and sat about.

right near the house going slow on the way back it snapped and she went head first :sad:

both my bikes have quick links on the chains as standard think their sram or used to be as im on my 3rd mountain bike one lol

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
My multi tool has a chain splitter that works well (Lezyne) I can remove a broken link and replace with a Quicklink which is stowed away in my Wolf Tooth Quicklink pliers.

The last time I fitted a new chain, I couldn't find my regular chain tool to shorten it and I was pleasantly surprised to find how well the one on my multitool worked.

I've never felt the need to use pliers to release a quicklink, the chainwheel technique has always worked for me so far.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've never carried one, never had a chain fail on me personally. I've never broken my neck either, but it doesnt mean I might not one days, but I'm happy to take the chance.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I guess it depends on where you ride. In some of rural Wales public transport doesn't exist and you may not get a phone signal.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've carried a mini chain tool or had one as part of a multi tool for years ond I've never needed it. However the cyclist who was stuck roadside a few years ago with a broken derailleur was most grateful that I did (along with a compatible quick link) so he could at least get home single speed style.

May have been me ^_^
This is the very reason I got a multi tool with a chain link tool.
I had a derailleur eat itself on a ride which also twisted the chain. Luckily another cyclist came by and stopped who had a multi tool so we single speeded it. I ordered a chain link multi tool that evening.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The last time I fitted a new chain, I couldn't find my regular chain tool to shorten it and I was pleasantly surprised to find how well the one on my multitool worked.

I've never felt the need to use pliers to release a quicklink, the chainwheel technique has always worked for me so far.

What is the chainwheel method Dave?

I use chain pliers as I struggle to separate a quick link.Pulling them back on with the chainwheel and crank works fine.

Last edited:
The tools aren't necessarily that big, and are often incorporated in cycling multitools
Yes. The topeak one is excellent and my preffered chaintool even when at home.
Am amazed that the OP is even considering leaving home without one. It makes me wonder if they are one of the uber minimalist crowd who will only take what can be fitted in a back pocket/in a crazily small seatpack (look mine is smaller than yours)
Just take one. And a decent pump of course. And two spare tubes.

Ajax Bay

Guru
What is the chainwheel method Dave?
From a 2014 thread (edited):
Get the chain onto the large chainring. Turn the crank to get the QR link at the 3 o'clock position [and keep cranks in that position]. From the bottom of the chainring take up one link's worth of slack in the chain and advance it anti-clockwise, up and round, until it is adjacent to the QR link at the 3 o clock position. If you've done it correctly the QR link and the link next to it (below it) should be pointing outwards in a 'V' shape; hold them both in that position by applying finger pressure to the links on either side. Then simply strike the apex of the 'V' with a tool/rock (obviously don't be stupid about it and mind your fingers) and the QR link will just come straight off [catch the bits/control ends of chain].

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The error there, surely, is buying a non-reusable quick link in the first place? I mean, what is the point of a quick link if you can only fasten it once (genuine question)?

I think the point of a quick link is just to install the chain. Chains come with one (except for shimano IIRC who have some fancy once use rivet)

Genuine question: why would you ever need to re-use a quick link? To swap a chain, use the new quick link with the new chain.

Top Bottom