Do I really need to carry a chain link tool ?

Should one carry a chain link tool ?

• Yes

Votes: 64 68.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 31.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
Chains will break, albeit very rarely, but usually at a very inconvenient moment - old or new, well maintained or not. The cost of carrying a chain breaker and a spare link is negligible compared to the cost of a broken chain far from home.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have one included on my multitool, and has had to be used.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I can think of three chain break incidents.

One was at the top of Ditchling Beacon when a roadie asked to borrow a tool and @ianrauk was first to whip his out, so to speak.

Happily the roadie rejoined his own chain, thereby saving one of us from a messy job.

A chain snapped on one of my Sunday morning group rides which was fixed by our leader.

My crowning achievement was using my chain tool to fix @StuAff's broken chain on a night ride on the Isle of Wight.

The Park Tools Mini I use is under a tenner and takes up very little space.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-mini-chain-tool-ct-5/rp-prod7843

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
You'll be fine if you buy decent chains, change them when they should be and most importantly fit them correctly.

I've never heard of a snapped chain that isn't due to one of the above.

Can you give an example of how one might fit a chain incorrectly ?

Alan O

Über Member
I consider my chain tool an essential in my bag - I have a Park Tools one and it's really not that big or heavy.

I had an off last year when my derailleur hanger snapped, everything locked up and the chain broke. With a chain tool, you can put the chain back together as a single speed setup to get home.

The previous time I had a chain break it was after an off - I can't remember the actual details of the mishap, but the chain got caught on something and broke as I went down.

I probably carry more tools with me than most people, but in my decades of cycling I've had all sorts of failures and have only ever once* not been able to at least patch things up enough to get home - that one time, my rear axle snapped and I had a 10-mile walk home.

(*I know, I'm tempting fate)

Alan O

Über Member
If you have a chain tool as part of a multi tool make sure you try it at home on a length of cut off before you think you have all bases covered. Some of these tools are good and work well, more are worse than useless.
Good point. Even with a standalone chain tool, I'd recommend trying it at home first - I had one once where the pin bent the first time I tried to use it (fortunately at home).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The chain tool that I carry with me for emergencies is on my multitool. Yes, it IS a bit cheapo but it DOES work if used with care. I have a much bigger, heavier, and nicer tool at home that I use at home.

adamhearn

Veteran
I carry one, never used it on my own but a day trip out with others a chain snapped and it tigether with a 10 speed link I was carrying allowed us all to continue,

MarkF

Guru
I am 55, never had a chain break and have never known of anybody having a chain break, junk it!

I went on a 1000 mile tour with my cousin and he made me carry all sorts of lardy stuff I never would have normally. I think I oiled my chain after two weeks, the sum total of the on-tour maintenance.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I had a fire extinguisher in my van and house for years unused.
then one sunday morning while enjoying boiled eggs and toast the neighbours kid banged on the door to tell me their house was on fire.

i put the fire out before the fire crew got here.
you never know, So Yes carry a chain tool no matter how long it sits doing nothing.

My breakfast was toast!!

Top Bottom