Do I really need to carry a chain link tool ?

Should one carry a chain link tool ?

• Yes

Votes: 64 68.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 31.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I've been carrying a chain link tool and spares for the past ten years and I've never once needed it. I inspect my bike regularly and I swap the chain when it is worn. I do recall once having half a link come apart but I managed to make it back to base. The tool is heavy and clunky.

So should I continue to carry this thing that seems redundant?

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
I broke a chain in the midst of Scotland on a Sunday !

Carry it :smile:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Carry it! Stuff happens and it is one of the few tools that you will not be able to borrow from a non-cyclist if the worst should happen.

I have used mine 'in the field' a number of times, although rarely for my own bike, but it can/does happen and the repair is preferable to the alternative.

You'll be fine if you buy decent chains, change them when they should be and most importantly fit them correctly.

I've never heard of a snapped chain that isn't due to one of the above.
WRONG!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
In the past 5 years cycling I've had two broken chains, both of which I've sorted using the chain breaker (that's what you're referring to, right?) and a spare quick link
Only last week I offered to help a cyclist with a snapped chain who was walking but he was almost home
I'd regard it as a good decision to take one with me, particularly as like @I like Skol says, you can't fix it without this specific tool

fossala

Guru
Carry it! Stuff happens and it is one of the few tools that you will not be able to borrow from a non-cyclist if the worst should happen.

I have used mine 'in the field' a number of times, although rarely for my own bike, but it can/does happen and the repair is preferable to the alternative.

WRONG!
First, no need to shout...
Second, I think most people don't realize it's a user error but how many pro cyclists brake chains when pushing 500w? Now consider we put out 1/3rd of that. I'm not saying it never happens, just extremely rare.

Yes.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Split a length of worn out old chain, and see if you can get the outer plate section off the split end using something that you will have on the bike - eg lever off with a screwdriver end.
If you can get it off, it's OK to carry just a spare quicklink.
Otherwise you'll need a chain tool to get mobile again. It's up to you whether the cost/inconvenience/brownie points needed to get home without makes the chain tool worth carrying or not.

Broken chains aren't common (IIRC, I've had 3 in 150,000 miles), but aren't always due to bad maintenance - I have seen reports of bad batches of chains, of most brands, where a new or hardly used chain has cracks between the pin and the edge of the outer plate in a number of links (as found after the first broke).

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
First, no need to shout...
Second, I think most people don't realize it's a user error but how many pro cyclists brake chains when pushing 500w? Now consider we put out 1/3rd of that. I'm not saying it never happens, just extremely rare.
I snapped a chain on my way home from work starting off from a set of traffic lights. Chain was fairly new, regularly cleaned and lubed and generally looked after. The chain tool allowed me to just shorten the chain and after a few minuits I was on my way home via the LBS to buy a new one. So the answer is yes.

I've only need one before I started carrying it. My the bolt holding my derailleur hanger in place fell out, so my bike was only wheelable. I was a very long way from home and about 200km into a 600km audax. The nearest bike shop was only a couple of miles away, but closing in 20 minutes. A chain breaker would have allowed me to convert to a single speed and make it there.

Luckily a stranger borrowed his neighbours car (?!) and rescued me, but that's not a common experience.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think most people don't realize it's a user error but how many pro cyclists brake chains when pushing 500w?
Actually, I have seen quite a few over the years! Presumably pro teams don't use cheap chains and pro mechanics know how to fit and maintain them ...? :whistle:

I was once riding some Scottish MTB trails with a friend. She only weighs about 7 stone and we were on a flat gravel track in a forest, so she wasn't exactly hammering the chain. CRACK - it snapped! She had only had the bike for a couple of weeks and it had been assembled by an experienced LBS mechanic.

I fixed it for her in a few minutes using my trusty chain tool. I have also repaired chains for 4 or 5 other riders over the years. I finally broke one of my own chains on a ride a couple of years ago. Here's a picture of the broken link ...

broken-chain-link-jpg-119160-jpg-336000-jpg.jpg

It snapped for no apparent reason. Just one of those things. The chain was otherwise in good condition and I wasn't doing some crazy gear change on a steep hill at the time.

With the tool, no problem - 15 minutes later I was riding again, after also taking some photos and having a snack and a drink. Without the tool, a BIG PROBLEM!

I'll continue to carry the chain tool! :okay:

Top Bottom