Do I really need to carry a chain link tool ?

Should one carry a chain link tool ?

• Yes

Votes: 64 68.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 31.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
I’ve used one in anger once; following a crash that broke the derailleur hanger to shorten the chain to single speed. Mine is part of a Halfords multi tool but works just well enough. Extra bulk and weight is negligible along with the extra quick link.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
If you are happy without it then go ahead. The world will not end.

fossala

Guru
I snapped a chain on my way home from work starting off from a set of traffic lights. Chain was fairly new, regularly cleaned and lubed and generally looked after. The chain tool allowed me to just shorten the chain and after a few minuits I was on my way home via the LBS to buy a new one. So the answer is yes.
My guess would be it was fitted wrong.

fossala

Guru
Actually, I have seen quite a few over the years! Presumably pro teams don't use cheap chains and pro mechanics know how to fit and maintain them ...? :whistle:

I was once riding some Scottish MTB trails with a friend. She only weighs about 7 stone and we were on a flat gravel track in a forest, so she wasn't exactly hammering the chain. CRACK - it snapped! She had only had the bike for a couple of weeks and it had been assembled by an experienced LBS mechanic.

I fixed it for her in a few minutes using my trusty chain tool. I have also repaired chains for 4 or 5 other riders over the years. I finally broke one of my own chains on a ride a couple of years ago. Here's a picture of the broken link ...

View attachment 443061

It snapped for no apparent reason. Just one of those things. The chain was otherwise in good condition and I wasn't doing some crazy gear change on a steep hill at the time.

With the tool, no problem - 15 minutes later I was riding again, after also taking some photos and having a snack and a drink. Without the tool, a BIG PROBLEM!

I'll continue to carry the chain tool! :okay:
Cheap chain?

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Yes. Mine is part of my Topeak Alien II multitool. However it does come with this rider, “The chain tool is compatible with single and multi-speed chains up to 12 speed, NOT including Campagnolo® 11 speed hollow pin chains.”

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I once broke a chain in the middle of a long ride in deepest Wales. I was tired and messed up a gear change, so it was user error really, but I could easily do it again, in fact I did a few months later, again due to tiredness. I've also lent mine to someone who was having problems.
Not worth the risk not to carry one (and know how to use it). There's hardly a weight penalty.

Slioch

Guru
Yes.

Only used one once whilst out on the road in 40-odd years of cycling when my rear mech over-shifted, got caught in the spokes, and got trashed. I used it to shorten the chain to limp home on single-speed. I was a long way out into the boondocks of rural Yorkshire late in the evening, so glad I had the capability to fix things myself.

The ones incorporated into multi-tools are just about adequate for emergency roadside repairs as above, but I also have a decent one for the home workshop.

Top Bottom