Do I really need to carry a chain link tool ?

Should one carry a chain link tool ?

• Yes

Votes: 64 68.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 31.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The chain fairy reads these forums you know. Don't tempt fate.

Milzy

Guru
so if a link partially separated? How will just a link help?
you need to push the pin out to join with the Qlink.
just saying, its not uncommon especially when mtb ing ,debris in the drive ect
Hopefully find a friendly roadie with one or walk to a LBS. *shrugs* look at the alarming percentage who doesn’t either.

Alan O

Über Member
I just carry a new quick link. I don’t like carrying too much stuff tbh.
I don't see how that would help if you break a chain - surely there's always going to be the parts of the broken link to remove?

A quick link is fine for quickly getting a chain off and on again, but I don't see what use it is for repairs on the road - maybe I'm missing something?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've carried a mini chain tool or had one as part of a multi tool for years ond I've never needed it. However the cyclist who was stuck roadside a few years ago with a broken derailleur was most grateful that I did (along with a compatible quick link) so he could at least get home single speed style.

This is the first time I've not carried on but it'll go back when I get round to fitting a saddle bag. I broke chain as a kid (25 years ago) and just one as an adult but during that time I've fixed a couple of mates. Its not really frequent enough to justify it but it doesnt really hurt and I like to be self resilient.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I always carry one but have never needed to use it. I always carry allen keys, puncture patches and a pump and never seem to need any of those either... apart from the time i forgot my pump and got my only puncture in a decade.

I carry them for luck. :okay:

Same here, I was breezing along when I realised I had a gas cylinder but had forgotten the dispenser thingy. Less than five minutes later a tyre went flat. I changed the tube and sat down to wait and a few minutes later along came a cyclist who lent me his trigger. I have every faith in providence and my fellow humans. If my bike ever gets so broken that I can't ride it I will just shoulder it and stick out a thumb, drivers are happy to stop and help if they can see the reason why you're hitching.

I had an 11 mile walk in the pouring rain last year because I didn`t carry one. I do now

subaqua

What’s the point
Yes . I have never had to use one on my bikes , but have converted a ten speed cassette with mashed derailleur into a single speed rear cog to give a nice lady a chance of getting home without a long walk. I always stop for every cyclist and ask if they are OK.

D_97_goodtimes

I've been carrying a chain link tool and spares for the past ten years and I've never once needed it. I inspect my bike regularly and I swap the chain when it is worn. I do recall once having half a link come apart but I managed to make it back to base. The tool is heavy and clunky.

So should I continue to carry this thing that seems redundant?

A third option of 'sometimes' might help.
Like many others I have cycled for years and never had a chain snap.....until last week - luckily I was close to home and could limp back to my garage.
Depends covers the ' out all day ride' where you may find yourself many miles from help and then you will think hmmm about that saddle bag with my chain link tool.
For the daily commute - probably not necessary.

Perhaps the conversation should widen to cover a proper saddlebag and what you should put in it.:smile:

I`ve had a few go over the years, the worst, by far was when I was trying pull out in a small gap of traffic and I had to leg it bloody fast to get clear of the approaching van - that`s exactly when it snapped:eek:

Luckily the guy realised and slowed down, and I picked up the bike and ran bloody fast to get out of the way. Brown underwear moment.............

fossala

Guru
Can you give an example of how one might fit a chain incorrectly ?
Push a pin in too far, reuse a non-reusable quick link, fit upside down (on some chains), chain too short, chain too long, wrong quick link, re using pins, using wrong chain for the job.

I may think of some more but that should be enough.

Push a pin in too far, reuse a non-reusable quick link, fit upside down (on some chains), chain too short, chain too long, wrong quick link, re using pins, using wrong chain for the job.

I may think of some more but that should be enough.
I re-used a pin in my singlespeed just to get me out of trouble, and I was going to replace it. 3000 miles later I still haven`t.......

Not good practice I know, but I got lucky

Top Bottom