Do intercoms for cyclist exist (at sensible prices) ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cd365

Guru

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I don't think they will help you when pointing out potholes. You have to be riding close enough to hear a raised voice to be in peril?
NO.
That was just part of my reply. It would be just for general chat thro the ride. Potholes is just an "example" of general. It could also be for when I want to tell him "hey...my a%^*s is sore :smile:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I genuinely don't see why you can't just ride next to your mate. It is the norm, you are essentially doing something out of the ordinary and creating a "problem" for yourself.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I genuinely don't see why you can't just ride next to your mate. It is the norm, you are essentially doing something out of the ordinary and creating a "problem" for yourself.

We tend to ride on minor roads and out of courtesy to car drivers we choose to ride single file.
As a car drive I find it annoying when cyclists ride 2 abreast so that I cant get past.
A few weeks ago I saw a group of perhaps 15 cyclists taking up the whole road and deliberately making the point that "they could do it". I thought that was so ignorant.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Something such as the Binatone terrain 550 pmr walkie talked is wot u need. They come with ear pieces and can be programmed for VOX (voice operated transmit) so you're sorted.
Thanks for that.
What I am thinking of is an ear piece and a mic so we can use it hands free.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Believe me, having had a passenger to pilot intercom on a motorcycle there's nothing more irritating and distracting than someone babbling in your ear while you're riding. Don't do it.

I agree with Joe, an intercom may be a help in certain circumstances but will spoil your overall riding experience.

When I ride with my regular group, I move alongside another rider for a chat, but also enjoy stretches of solitude riding single file.

stephec

Legendary Member
This is something that motorcyclists do use. I think they call it "bike-to-bike" rather than simply "rider-to-pillion" systems, which are also available.

I am not a motorcyclist myself, so best of luck with your search. I remember that Lidl/Aldi had some in a while back.

I did find this.
http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/IntercomFAQ.htm
I've got one of those lidl/Aldi ones in a box somewhere, never been used.

I bought it for the same purpose, but can't remember why I didn't use it in the end.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
We tend to ride on minor roads and out of courtesy to car drivers we choose to ride single file.
As a car drive I find it annoying when cyclists ride 2 abreast so that I cant get past.
A few weeks ago I saw a group of perhaps 15 cyclists taking up the whole road and deliberately making the point that "they could do it". I thought that was so ignorant.
Given your powers of telepathy, such that you can understand the groups thinking, why do you need an intercom?

Drago

Legendary Member
The Binatone earpieces have a built in mic much much like mobile phone headphones do.

The VOX activation level is adjustable. Never had a problem with traffic noise with mine, though I continued them in t ha mode a great deal.

Custom24

Über Member
How minor are these minor roads? Do they have a white line in the middle of the road?

Top Bottom