Do intercoms for cyclist exist (at sensible prices) ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
MOD NOTE:
Keep on topic, please - and, for those who might not understand, that means discussion about intercoms, not whether cyclists ride 2, 4 or 15 abreast, nor whether the road has tight corners or gentle bends nor the road markings.

Thank you.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This is something that motorcyclists do use. I think they call it "bike-to-bike" rather than simply "rider-to-pillion" systems, which are also available.

I am not a motorcyclist myself, so best of luck with your search. I remember that Lidl/Aldi had some in a while back.

I did find this.
http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/IntercomFAQ.htm

Bike to bike goes Inside a motorcycle helmet and is not suitable for cycle helmets.

I have a motorcycle intercom and dont use it asI found it annoying. I would hate one on a cycle.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
MOD NOTE:
Keep on topic, please - and, for those who might not understand, that means discussion about intercoms, not whether cyclists ride 2, 4 or 15 abreast, nor whether the road has tight corners or gentle bends nor the road markings.

Thank you.
Is no meandering to be allowed on threads now then?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I posted to get some good suggestions.........bitchness I can get elsewhere thankyou.
feel free to ignore anything I contributed up until you posted this....
As a car drive I find it annoying when cyclists ride 2 abreast so that I cant get past.
A few weeks ago I saw a group of perhaps 15 cyclists taking up the whole road and deliberately making the point that "they could do it". I thought that was so ignorant.
sorts of statements that are bound to provoke in a cycling forum, I'd have thought.

Bluetooth ear piece & skype/phone call?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Playing with a mobile phone and Bluetooth headset is probably your neatest solution.

I've only used motorbike intercoms and old tech, they tend to be bulky (not an issue on a motorbike, more of a thing if you're worry about all the weight you are carrying on a bicycle) and wind noise was an issue on the old microphones (which a full face lid dealt with on a motorbike, but could be a thing on a bicycle. Throat or in ear bone mic's would be a better option for cycling and are more of a thing nowadays. The radios are still large though and you'd need to play around with the vox settings otherwise you could find yourself huffing at each other unsettlingly when going up hills. I believe racers still use some form of push to talk (PTT) don't they? Although I guess they do a lot of chatting with each other which they don't want broadcast back to the support car. I found them a bit of a faff and for the amount of real use they got they didn't really add to the experience any although I guess it depends how much you think you are losing by not being able to chat while riding.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I haven't got any advice for you, but the mental image of two self-hating cyclists riding along in the gutter on walkie-talkies has given me a good laugh.

"You don't pay road tax. Over."

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
megaphone bike.jpeg

How about this...

Top Bottom