Do people enjoy their expensive bikes more than their cheap ones?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm still running a set of 1999 XT pedals on my 1996 Alpinestars, and they're still working very nicely. There's a thread just this week for someone asking about their newish Ultegra brifter which now doesn't work. My 1978 Elswick is on its original mass produced cheapo headset bearings. These random off the cuff examples prove there's no firm correlation between price and durability with cycle components.
Being as XT's were the best you could buy in '99 the should have lasted. Mine lasted for years too, a pedal strike killed those pedals, not wear or mechanical failure. But I contend that the quality that was XT became XTR and current XT pedals are barely old LX or DX level manufacturing quality.
But I've only riding mountain bikes since the '80s so what would I know about the idea that often cheap parts don't last.

Yes!! Definitely. I may look a nobber on my Cervelo but I pretend to myself that I'm Stevo Cummings soloing away to a TdF stage win. You have no idea how much pleasure that gives me.

I'm the same on my Ridley Helium,only I think I'm Thomas De Gendt:whistle::rolleyes:

Of my bikes, the one that has seen far and away more miles in the last 18 months is a £25 Gumtree special, bought as a winter clunker, to chuck in the skip after one winter. Late 80s Pug steelie. Grotesquely ugly - what with serious rust, one previous owner's cack-handed paint job, and another cheapskate previous owner's "handiness" with a welding torch (rather than buy a new gear cable, he welded the downtube gear-change somewhere uselessly inadequate on the seat post :eek:).

But underneath what previous owners have perpetrated? A gorgeous bike to ride. :tongue:

Drago

Legendary Member
Being as XT's were the best you could buy in '99 the should have lasted. Mine lasted for years too, a pedal strike killed those pedals, not wear or mechanical failure. But I contend that the quality that was XT became XTR and current XT pedals are barely old LX or DX level manufacturing quality.
But I've only riding mountain bikes since the '80s so what would I know about the idea that often cheap parts don't last.
Up until 2012 Shimano never sold or marketed XtR as a higher 'quality' groupset, but as a racing one. Even now where XtR has been aligned as a top flight level of the conventional market gear they still don't make any higher claims for durability, and as an average I've yet to see any evidence it would. Shimano ain't claiming it, and ain't seeing it.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
My £10 Falcon singlespeed, 'Aryton,' is the most enjoyable bike I've ever owned. It's off the road til I can eventually have it paint stripped, media blasted, rust killed & repainted. In the meantime I'm riding a modern, aluminium singlespeed which just feels dead in comparison.

Reactions: mjr
Up until 2012 Shimano never sold or marketed XtR as a higher 'quality' groupset, but as a racing one. Even now where XtR has been aligned as a top flight level of the conventional market gear they still don't make any higher claims for durability, and as an average I've yet to see any evidence it would. Shimano ain't claiming it, and ain't seeing it.
Hey I'll admit my sample set is statistically insignificant (4 xt v 3 xtr pedals), but so 100% better reliability from xtr compared xt. Regardless of what Shimano actually claim.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Yes, that's why I buy 'em. I am unashamedly a bike snob and hate buying cheap parts that don't seem to last. For example a couple years back my old (+5 years) xtr pedals were started to show a wee bit of movement in the bearings which I couldn't fix. I was short on cash and thought no worries I'll get some M424 pedals. They wouldn't be as light as the xtr's, but I'm not racing so much these days and I thought they'd be sturdy enough. Damn things died in about 2 months. Ok, I'll try some xt pedals. Well they lasted about 9 months. So ok, save some cash and then a new pair of xtr pedals. Which have now lasted about a year without any problems at all.
Good god, what do you do to your pedals? I have 520s on my fixie, which are cheaper than those, and they last for ever. Years.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My Kettwiesel is the most expensive, but its ride is worth every single penny

841d4643ab0f70a4c927fa387e8b4038.jpg

Slick

Guru
Question for those who have had cheap/ budget bikes and expensive ones, do you enjoy the expensive ones more? I know one persons expensive is another persons cheap but just generally.
I've had bikes for around £200 and ones for over a grand and I would say that I've enjoyed the more expensive ones more because they fit better and generally I've had no trouble with them other than general maintenance issues.
I dunno, but I'll certainly be able to give you a definitive answer tomorrow morning when I introduce my new Genesis to the outside world, can't wait.

GuyBoden

Guru
There may be however arguments for the simplicity and durability of components. My simplex retrofrictions are in perfect working order, there is simply nothing to go wrong with them. Not sure you could say the same about more modern components, they're clever and good, but certainly not user serviceable and durable.

I have a full set of Shimano 600 from 1988, they work very well, with regular care and maintenance.
C3FFC533-1721-4D11-9B70-A096EDDFBB7B.jpe

C8CF80C4-B17C-46A0-ADE9-9FBBDB879E8B.jpe

Top Bottom