Do the Police not care?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
http://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.com/2010/11/metropolitan-police-do-they-take.html

Watching the video I'd say in the previous post I'd say it raises several issues. Like WTF has flouro got to do with someone threatening to kill a cyclist? I found this on another forum today and I will be posting it on the CTC site too.

It appears to myself, as an outsider to London who is reading the various comments by experienced cyclists online, that Roadsafe isnt working either.

Discuss.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I don't think it is because they don't care, as such.

This 'system' of reporting crime is simply endemic within Police Bureaucracy and not limited to 'Roadsafe'.

I fear that unless you have been plastered over the road with numerous and compliant witnessess and with the emergency services in attendance we are just expected to count our blessings and let the matter go.

Not having experience of any other Police Authority I can only cite my dealings with the Met who, through no fault of their own, are in no real position to act unless there is serious damage to an individual or their property.

With the cuts in all public services ahead, I sadly don't see any fast or realistic improvement in the situation as it stands.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Where is the video? i don't think i'm sub to this guy and i haven't seen anything that follows what he is saying.

Anyone that has read a part of my skinny blog or watched any of my videos will know that i've had dealings with Met in several forms, i've reported many videos to Road Safe and gone to several police stations trying to report incidences and been in a crash involved with a car. i'll give me opinions and views on each below.

RoadSafe - When they first launched i reported a video to them where a guy broke several laws whilst driving, nearly had a head on collision and then verbally abused me and threatened me. I reported that to RoadSafe and got nothing, i had to chase them for feedback and it was very hard to get anything out of them. And the end result is not what i was looking for, in hindsight i should have gone to the local police station and reported it there.
But they do state on their website that they only prosecute in the worst of cases.
At Roadsafe London we make attempts to contact every driver in all cases reported to us. Please be assured we will research every submission in order to task police activity, but be aware we will not initiate a prosecution other than in exceptional cases. To make an allegation of a driving offence with a view to prosecution, you will have to attend a police station and complete a reporting form.
As one of the largest users of RoadSafe i was invited to meet the people that run it. Of course i took them up on this and met the officers that run it, they are all officers that have plenty of experience on the roads, most of them being on motorcycles but some with experiences in HGV's. Their knowledge and advice is something which shouldn't be sniffed at.
Their main aim is to attempt to make the roads safer for everyone, and they provide an easy way to report traffic offences. This is more than we had before and i think is based user to report 'minor' incidences where it's not worthwhile to report at the police station.

Police Stations - I, as Martin Porter, have experienced issues with reporting traffic offences at a police station, the desk staff are absolutely useless, they love to question every little detail about you, and as he, i have also been asked about what clothing i had on, my road position and why i use cameras. The thing is, they are just desk staff and know nothing about cycling on the road and road safety. Just get the damn form any way possible, and fill it out. It should then go to a department that will do something with it and hopefully contact you.

Police responding to collisions - This is where i think the police are at their best. When i was hit by a car, the police and emergency services where called. The police dealt with the driver there and then, doing all the right procedures and i was contacted at a later date by an officer dealing with the procedure, it was an open and shut case so they didn't need to do much. It was a much better procedure because you skip all that crap with filling out forms and talking to a plonker on the front desk.

If only we could print of one of those forms and send it to our local nick
rolleyes.gif

Unfortunately, I've had a fairly wide range of experiences in reporting and being involved in incidents reported to the Met. Some relatively inconsequential matters have been dealt with with all the diligence I could possibly desire. However, several serious events, with witnesses, evidence and identified suspects have not been dealt with to anywhere near the standards that the police services are obliged to provide the public. The responsibility the police hold in the execution of an investigation and prosecution can be held in the hands of a series of individuals, and it seems any one of them can drop it, whether through incompetence, overwork, corruption or a personal disinclination. It's pot luck as to whether a road victim receives justice.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Oh my!! Thats on my commute, of which I rarely see anyone on there expect Airport workers, but you really do take you life in your hands there everytime. Its not for the faint hearted..

The local police stations around here too have come under alot of stick recently too and in previous dealings, its all quite warranted, so no wonder he's not getting anywhere too.

On a plus side, i've found a new local blog to follow.. completely selfish I am! ;)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Those are indeed his vids. I think he might be adding to the "public record" I was discussing earlier this year.

You saaay whaat?

I have mixed feelings about this one. I think the video where he was threatened is this one.

In the grand scheme of things I've seen and had a lot worse. The threat was probably an empty, I'm a hard man, type threat. I might have posted the video, but I certainly wouldn't have went to the police with it.

However, in my opinion, there is far too much acceptance of poor behaviour on the roads and in general. Just this morning, turning a corner I had to shout a warning to a ped that was about to step out in front of me. 'Watch out' is what I shouted and I got a torrent of abuse back. Would it have been better for me to say nothing and knock him down?!!?

There is far too much aggression, impatience, and dangerous behaviour generally, however, it is a more significant, and more serious problem on the roads. Poor behaviour like this needs to be made an example of, made socially unacceptable. Is this the right case to do that, mmmmm, probably not. :huh:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I can't really fault what you are saying there magnatom. I've had far worse turned down by the CPS and let worse fly.

Origamist

Legendary Member
@Mags, Gaz

The guy purportedly threatened to kill another person whilst being in control of a vehicle that could do just that! I'm surprised that both of you are only offering tepid support (the fact that you've both been on the receiving end of more serious abuse suggests that you have become inured to it because it is worryingly prevalent).

Martin Porter (with his legal expertise) is helping all cyclists by pursuing this bullying moron through the proper legal channels. We should not meekly accept threats of violence and certainly not threats to kill and I applaud Porter for his stance on the issue. I hope the CTC follow the story up.

What's more, I shall be cutting and pasting part of his reply to the CPS in any future correspondence I have with the Met/CPS.

@Mags, Gaz

The guy purportedly threatened to kill another person whilst being in control of a vehicle that could do just that! I'm surprised that both of you are only offering tepid support (the fact that you've both been on the receiving end of more serious abuse suggests that you have become inured to it because it is worryingly prevalent).

Martin Porter (with his legal expertise) is helping all cyclists by pursuing this bullying moron through the proper legal channels. We should not meekly accept threats of violence and certainly not threats to kill and I applaud Porter for his stance on the issue. I hope the CTC follow the story up.

What's more, I shall be cutting and pasting part of his reply to the CPS in any future correspondence I have with the Met/CPS.

The problem is that I can understand (though not support) the reaction of the police/CPS. Looking at the footage, in devils advocate mode, you can almost see a wry smile on the face of the driver when he agrees that he has threatened to kill him. Thus I can understand the reluctance to pursue the driver further.

Yes I entirely agree that any threat of being killed is unacceptable. Yes it should be stamped out. However, due to the fact it is fairly obvious from the footage that the driver has no real intention to follow up the threats (he accelerates away), I don't think it is the best footage to make a stand with.
I also did say above that I can understand why he is doing it, and that a stand has to be made. However, imagine this did go to court, and imagine that it got publicity. Now imagine how the general public would look at the footage. If I'm honest (putting on my joe public hat) I think most people would think that the cyclist was over-reacting, thus negating any positive impact. Yes, you and I know how unacceptable this behaviour is, but I doubt many non cyclists would.

Yes you are right, I probably have become inured to this type of abuse, but so has most of the public. We need a strong case to defend in the first instance and to work from there, IMO.

Having said all of the above, I admire Martin and what he is doing and wish him the best of luck with it.

Top Bottom