Do we not deserve our bad rep?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
hackbike 666 said:
Do you cycle the Mile End Road Tynan?

not sure, I ride to the Whipps Cross/Green Man roundabouts, down though Leytonstone to the Stratford one way and then A11 all the way into the city

boydj

Legendary Member
adunn01 said:
I had a conversation with a motorcyclist the other week while stopped at a red light which started with him saying "I thought you lot didn't need to stop at red lights" - people don't come to these conclusions based on a handful of cyclists not following the rules.

I recently had a very similar conversation with an angry lorry driver in the centre of Glasgow after I filtered and sat just in front of his right wing at the front of the lights. I simply pointed out that I would not be holding him up. He was 5 seconds slower getting to the next set of lights where the conversation continued. By this time he had chilled a bit and expressed surprise that I had actually stopped at the lights. Hopefully the exchange helped him to see cyclists in a slightly better light.

Other than filtering, I cycle as I would drive my car, so I have no time for RLJ apologists. However, I believe most of the danger on the road comes from the minority of aggressive, pushy motorists who have no respect for any other road user.

sheddy

Legendary Member
I feel that one of the issues, is that many car drivers don't actually have the skills to interact safely with cyclists

OP
OP
A

adunn01

hm, on the back of my thoughts today, I've just had reason to send the complaint below to Glasgow City Council.

Unfortunately, I allowed the red mist to descend at the end of the incident and after a colourful exchange with the taxi driver took my right turn not noticing that the filter light wasn't on yet and oncoming traffic would not be stopping to let me past. had a slightly close call which shook me up a bit, but writing my mail to the council has been therapeutic!

i blame RLJ'ers for the whole incident :wacko:

-----

I am writing to complain about the aggressive, abusive behaviour of the driver of a private hire cab against me as a cyclist on Maryhill Road tonight. I was travelling in the Bus Lane and stopped at a red light outside the fire station on Maryhill Road when a motorist shouted at me to get off the road. When I looked round it wasn't clear who it was so moved off as the lights changed only to be passed iwth about a foot of space by the driver of a light (possibly silver) estate car - a private hire taxi. On approaching the lights where Quuen Margaret Drive meets Maryhill Road they were red again so I use the access lane to approach the green ASL only to find this taxi had filled the box, leaving just enough room for me to enter in front of him, which I did. Again as the lights changed I moved off and he started immediately blasting his horn behind me before passing with even less space this time. Next set of lights, a hundred yards or so down the road and he's again stopped at the front of the queue. I pull alongside to be met with a torrent of abuse and told to get "off the f*cking road on that thing" (that thing being my well lit bicycle). I appreciate that the licence plate details I've given are incomplete but I hope that with the car details, time, location and partial plate you have enough details to find the driver and investigate.

dondare

Über Member
hackbike 6 said:
I know a moton at work who has a poor attitude towards cyclists:

Because we don't pay road tax

He's a diamond bloke really though.I don't actually believe he would drive poorly towards cyclists though.

Tell him what road tax is, why it was ever introduced, why it applies only to some vehicles, how the money is used, how the roads are really paid for, and who has a legal right to use the public roads.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I saw a cyclist RLJ the other week. I see car drivers RLJ many times each day (I saw an accident caused by it some months ago), I was shunted by a taxi driver RLJing ages ago. I see car drivers with broken lights many times per day. I see car drivers handling mobile phones several times per day. I see drivers go up one way streets the wrong way several times a week. I see pavement driving a few times a month. I see all other manner of infractions by drivers. Nearly all of this is ignored by drivers and to an extent some cyclists. We're an outgroup. I'd really rather nobody RLJed but if it stopped tomorrow motons would still say we do it or move onto some other phantom bogeyman infraction or excuse.

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
So you are saying that every driver out there at the moment is angry?? Ready to unleash a torrent of abuse on the first bike rider they come across because the other day day they saw me RLJ?:wacko:

No. But people drive as if they are angry all the time. (Have you noticed John the Monkey's sig? It's bang on.) And some do get angry, and stay angry, because they see cyclists "cheat"; by using the pavement to avoid jams and cut corners and by disregarding traffic lights. Talk to someone who drives but doesn't cycle and this is what they'll tell you.

dondare

Über Member
marinyork said:
I saw a cyclist RLJ the other week. I see car drivers RLJ many times each day (I saw an accident caused by it some months ago), I was shunted by a taxi driver RLJing ages ago. I see car drivers with broken lights many times per day. I see car drivers handling mobile phones several times per day. I see drivers go up one way streets the wrong way several times a week. I see pavement driving a few times a month. I see all other manner of infractions by drivers. Nearly all of this is ignored by drivers and to an extent some cyclists. We're an outgroup. I'd really rather nobody RLJed but if it stopped tomorrow motons would still say we do it or move onto some other phantom bogeyman infraction or excuse.

Drivers do not blame themselves for their own bad behaviour or that of other motorists. But they do blame all cyclists for red light jumping and pavement cycling. Sheffield must be like Birmingham and not at all like London if you don't see dozens of errant cyclists every time you travel anywhere.

dondare said:
Tell him what road tax is, why it was ever introduced, why it applies only to some vehicles, how the money is used, how the roads are really paid for, and who has a legal right to use the public roads.

Errr I don't even know myself.:wacko:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
dondare said:
Drivers do not blame themselves for their own bad behaviour or that of other motorists. But they do blame all cyclists for red light jumping and pavement cycling. Sheffield must be like Birmingham and not at all like London if you don't see dozens of errant cyclists every time you travel anywhere.

Yes. It's like whatever was quoted in the transport research laboratory about bad behaviour by different groups, unfortunately I've never been able to find the quote since. It went something along the lines of motorists and cyclists both justified their bad behaviour in terms of safety or other factors. This was strange because motorists did not recognise the same traits in cyclists and it thus was evidence of regarding them as an out group.

I do not see RLJing by cyclists, pretty much ever. I didn't when I was in York either, that must be one of the least tolerant places towards cycling in the world. Even if I did see plenty it does not alter the fact that motorists do it even more than this and it is not a like for like comparison. When a motorist RLJed next to the junction I used to live at they badly injured a cyclist. When a lorry driver RLJed into my dad's car many years ago he escaped injury (somewhat luckily) as he was protected by the car shell, a seat belt and other things.

As for pavement cycling, I do see that but it is normally at junctions or gaps in the cycling path network (there are many) for short distances. I see cyclists ride over the tram bridge all the time (it used to be a set of cycle bridges long before the tram got it and kicked all the cyclists off), again incredibly I see motor vehicles not doing maintenance driving across this and nearly mowing down peds as a nifty short cut. You can guess the group that people complain about and see as a danger, yep those pesky cyclists. I take a similar view on this as when I lived in York people whinged endlessly about cyclists using the so called pedestrianised zone out of hours. A similar level of blindness was apparent in motorist's eyes. When motorists drove down there without a disabled badge people didn't bat an eyelid even though there were cases of people having their legs broken by accidents. There were several non-pedestrianised roads where cars weren't allowed in the daytime and they were clogged up with traffic everyday of the year except the twice annual police crackdown for 1hr.

dondare said:
No. But people drive as if they are angry all the time. (Have you noticed John the Monkey's sig? It's bang on.) And some do get angry, and stay angry, because they see cyclists "cheat"; by using the pavement to avoid jams and cut corners and by disregarding traffic lights. Talk to someone who drives but doesn't cycle and this is what they'll tell you.

Something really does infuriate them out them in their little cages and makes them drive badly/dangerously/aggressively.

Top Bottom