Do you believe in Evolution?

Do you believe in Evolution?

• Yes.

Votes: 97 95.1%
  • No.

Votes: 5 4.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darkstar

I've always presumed that the majority of people believe in evolution, with a few insane individuals believing otherwise (creationism)... I have recently read Richard Dawkins, 'The Greatest Show on Earth', which highlights the worrying figures which show many people throughout America and the UK do not believe in evolution. I've not made this a public poll, o no need to worry about others knowing your answers.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I believe the world was created yesterday by Aliens and that none of our memories is real. :eek:

PBancroft

This is the kind of thing I do think should be a public poll - if you believe in something like this, you should at least stand by it, or even justify what you are saying.

I believe in evolution. There is a wealth of evidence to support it, and none to support creationism (inability to disprove is not proof).

This is the kind of thing I do think should be a public poll - if you believe in something like this, you should at least stand by it, or even justify what you are saying.

I believe in evolution. There is a wealth of evidence to support it, and none to support creationism (inability to disprove is not proof).

To me it is summed up by Douglas Adams

The the best-selling book "Well That about Wraps It Up for God," which central theme was the theory some thinkers have chosen to see as a final and clinching proof of the nonexistence of God. The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn´t it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don´t. QED." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn´t thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic. "Oh, that was easy," says man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing

Part of the problem is that proof and a religin based theory are not neccessarily linked.

byegad

Legendary Member
Given there are still apparently rational people who believe the world is flat, it doesn't surprise me that the evolution has its doubters.

Simple observation of the written record is proof surely.

1st People walked, or ran.
2nd The Hobby Horse allowed people to run, walk and coast downhill and on the easy bits.
3rd The Penny Farthing was invented to take you faster and further than you could walk or run.
4th The Safety Bicycle allowed people to do the same without risking 'Coming a cropper'.
5th The recumbent bike was invented to allow people to do all of the above, lying down.
6th The recumbent trike was invented to allow all of the above without needing to put a foot down to stop
7th The Great Cycle Inventor took a rest. On his recumbent trike, of course.

:thumbsup:

There is a lot of extremly good evidence but no absolute proof for evolution - to be honest I am not particulaly bothered that a lot of people in America do not believe in evolution (i do not really understand a lot of things the Americans believe/disbelieve in) - I am sure there are other parts of the world where they have not even heard of evolution - im happy enough as long as they keep it to themselves and do not try to convince me that evolution is a non-starter

byegad

Legendary Member
I assume that you have all heard of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, which was set up as a 'rational' protest against Intelligent Design and Greationism being taught in schools in Kansas and the US?

A serious bit of fun

No I'm a member of the Church of the Great Sky Pixie.

He is responsible, among other things, for keeping aeroplanes in the air and the Sky from falling on our heads. :tongue:

montage

God Almighty
I may be stepping on toes here, but if I were talking to somebody who didn't belive in evolution then they would be filed under "bonkers" in my books.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Looking at the evidence, as a scientist I would have to agree that the most probable model for development of life is summed up in the theory of evolution.

Whether it was designed that way or not is never going to be possible to prove, therefore people can hold to their own views about a greater being, whether it be God, Odin, Great Green Arkleseizure or who/whatever else so as far as I'm concerned this is an area where an individual's personal belief system will fill the gap. Science is designed to tell us what happens, as for why things happen at all that's philosophy's realm.

What I don't like about the "Inteligent Design" movement as it exists in the states, is that it is basically a cover for evangelical creationists rather than sticking with the "why" arguement which is open for debate, they try and attribute the "what" to religion as well which has no place in a science lesson.

TwoDlocks

I believe in evolution but don't think that scientists can explain everything. I would like them to try to explain this true story of Maria Forte an ex Miami gang member who became so furious with his girlfriend for going to church so much that he gave her an ultimatum, either stop going or I will come to the church and kill you and kill the paster. One night he set out to do just that and this is what happened:
[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXwpHktYmQs[/media]

He is now one of Americas' biggest chrisitan evangalists. I think this is one of the most convincing true stories for the existance of God ever.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
This poll seems somewhat muddled.

It asks about 'belief' (faith), but evolution is a scientific theory supported by much evidence.

It also suggests that evolution and creationism are mutually exclusive.

Not many would argue against the scientific principle of a species evolving over time, but whether this world came into being by "chance" or "creation", that's the question of faith.

If the following option is added to this poll, then I'll vote:
"Species evolve over time because that's how things were created in the beginning"

Top Bottom