Do You Break Out Into A Sweat When You Ride Your Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Every ride, what ever the weather. Even last week when temperatures went negative for a day or so, still managed to work up a sweat during a two hour ride. But I'm not commuting to work, out for a pootle, or riding for transportation purposes in normal clothes. I'm generally pushing it every ride, keeping the heart rate elevated, either faster pace long rides, sprint and intervals, or trying to better personal bests.

And the suggestion the fitter you get the less you sweat is a myth, and potentially the opposite is more accurate.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Never sweat and even on a summer day I might have to remoisten my HR belt contact points often after a descent. A bottle of water is more than enough for all day.
You must be silver-plated like a kettle, and weigh about 3 pounds!

I don't understand how anybody of any significant size can move about under their own power in sunshine without getting hot... :wacko:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I sweat buckets! 10 mile fast commute to work soaks my cycle shirt and cap, but that is pushing to achieve 15-16moh AVG in stop/start urban environ. Doesn't matter if it is hot or cold, still pretty much the same result.
I do often chuckle when out on pleasant spring days wearing appropriate clothing when I see fellow cyclist's ride by in full artic gear. Fleeces, wind shells, leg warmers over leggings, buffs, arm warmers, ski gloves, face scarves, you name it, they've got it on. They must be melting! :surrender:
On the flip side, I don't drink much. Never take a bottle for my commute, it's only 10 miles/40 minutes. If I do take a bottle I rarely touch it in less than 30 miles and really have to concentrate on water consumption if I am to drink more than one bottle in 50-60 miles. The trouble is that once over 60 miles I do suffer the effects of dehydration unless I have been on the ball from the start. I can normally ride 50-60 miles without water but will soon crash & burn after that! :sad:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Wow. I go through a bottle of water every 10 miles or so.
I'm with you on that, I do a 750 bottle every 10 miles easy, on one hot day last year I was doing more.
For some cycle chatters it's a badge of honour to state just how little water they need! It's like there's a prize for how miserly they can use water. 😄

OldShep

Über Member
You must be silver-plated like a kettle, and weigh about 3 pounds!

I don't understand how anybody of any significant size can move about under their own power in sunshine without getting hot... :wacko:
13 1/2 stone and wear a buffalo from October to April without a problem. What’s sunshine? I live in Scotland Love a sauna I can be in there a good 20 mins before a bead of sweat breaks.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
For some cycle chatters it's a badge of honour to state just how little water they need! It's like there's a prize for how miserly they can use water. 😄
TBH some riders definitely DO drink a lot less than others. Being scrawny helps!

I used to do 100 mile summer rides with a skinny mate. I would get through (say) 4 x 750 mL bottles. He would take 1 bottle and often not even finish it. I did one very hard ride with him though where he misjudged it and cracked. He ended up desperately hopping over a dry stone wall and refilling his bottle from a stream! :laugh:

figbat

Slippery scientist
I sweat a lot at even a moderate effort - if I ride a bike anywhere I expect to have to change clothes when I finish. Even a ride on the shopping bike to the local farm shop.

However, despite sweating a lot I don’t drink much either. I can go 15-20 miles of MTB trails or 25-30 miles on-road without drinking anything. I always take some but often bring it all back. In really hot weather I have to remember to force myself to drink.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I'm with you on that, I do a 750 bottle every 10 miles easy, on one hot day last year I was doing more.

Yeah. I'm not proud. I'm just happy I made it this far in life. If it takes me a full water bottle to go 10 miles, so be it. And if anyone has a problem with that? I'll fight you to the death. :boxing:

These days I sweat just thinking about getting on the bike, but one thing that's started recently is that I no longer really have much of a sense of thirst.
On the bike that's a really good combination for getting yourself into trouble.

MntnMan62

Über Member
These days I sweat just thinking about getting on the bike, but one thing that's started recently is that I no longer really have much of a sense of thirst.
On the bike that's a really good combination for getting yourself into trouble.

Whenever in doubt? Force it.

CXRAndy

Guru
Never sweat and even on a summer day I might have to remoisten my HR belt contact points often after a descent. A bottle of water is more than enough for all day.

Physiologically, thats not good for hydration. :ohmy:

My in-law wouldn't drink enough for years, wondered why his cycling performance would wane.

Then after suffering in excruciating pain passing a kidney stone, followed by several investigatory procedures, re-tracing the path the stone came from, if you get the meaning:laugh:

He drinks a fair bit more now

Top Bottom