Do You Break Out Into A Sweat When You Ride Your Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have to be careful with that. Once I followed this policy on a cold day and like you I was fine once I'd climbed a hill. Then I was stopped by a pedestrian croossing. Next thing I knew I was on the floor with someone calling an ambulance: after checks they concluded my body temperature had dropped so quickly I'd passed out.
I am finding the current fashion of down jackets and imitators (like the one made from recycled drinks bottles) are quite good at keeping me warm in cold air without overheating. It has still been shoved into the basket twice this last warm week, though!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I did it Thursday, having not been out for a while I put on my winter kit, shortly after leaving the house I realised I could have done without the woolly hat, gloves and sweatshirt. I remember when a lot of us used to ride with saddle bags the size of small cases, we always had the option to take stuff of and put it in our saddle bags.

Yep I’m in bare arms riding mode now and bare legs won’t be that far away.

D

Deleted member 1258

In the winter I hardly sweat and rarely need the bottle of water I'm carrying, I sweat in the summer but rarely excessively, on a 50-60 mile ride on a hot day I'll have emptied my water bottle by the time I've got to the cafe and will need a refill to get me home.

Yep I’m in bare arms riding mode now and bare legs won’t be that far away.
Bare arms without bare legs?? Deviant! Next you'll be wearing overshoes and no gloves!

Yesterday was an odd day. Dry, a little wind, and alternating between too warm and too cold.
I kept taking my winter gloves off and then changing my mind a minute later when the wind hit them. In the end I opted to stay gloves off. My fingers still haven't thawed out. And yes, I was wearing overshoes :rolleyes:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Many riders often over dress for conditions as well. They dress for stationary rather than on the move. With no saddle bag they cannot switch between the two dressed states as necessary.
If only someone designed a cycle shirt with rear pockets, that wold be handy.....:laugh:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
err, bit easier to remove one of the surplus underlayers and put it in your pocket.
Seriously? You find it easier to take an under layer off than the outside layer? How are you doing that?

I find either I spend far too long looking like a bad escapologist, or I take the outer layers off first and replace them after. Neither is as easy as just removing the top layer and placing it into the saddlebag or basket.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Seriously? You find it easier to take an under layer off than the outside layer? How are you doing that?

I find either I spend far too long looking like a bad escapologist, or I take the outer layers off first and replace them after. Neither is as easy as just removing the top layer and placing it into the saddlebag or basket.
well a mid layer. I prefer to have multiple thin layers so can stick one in a pocket if too hot. I do stop to do it!

I wouldn't ever wear a fleece, a long sleeve jersey (or a gilet on top if really cold) would be the top layer. I don't have baskets on my bikes :okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Bare arms without bare legs?? Deviant! Next you'll be wearing overshoes and no gloves!

Yesterday was an odd day. Dry, a little wind, and alternating between too warm and too cold.
I kept taking my winter gloves off and then changing my mind a minute later when the wind hit them. In the end I opted to stay gloves off. My fingers still haven't thawed out. And yes, I was wearing overshoes :rolleyes:

I ride a recumbent, so already on the dark side.

Top Bottom