Do You Break Out Into A Sweat When You Ride Your Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OldShep

Über Member
God, I would overheat instantly wearing a buffalo - all that fur! :laugh:

I assume that auto-correct doesn't know about buffs! :okay:
:laugh:
It was correct a buffalo.
A lot of people will tell you they are too hot to cycle in. I dIsagree.
Another place which can sometimes produce a bead of sweat is 40 minutes in a 20C squash court. It’s almost 12 months now since that happened and aged 69 I don’t think I’ll ever see that sweat again.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
God, I would overheat instantly wearing a buffalo - all that fur! :laugh:

I assume that auto-correct doesn't know about buffs! :okay:

Years ago I was climbing in north Wales in the winter. After a few climbs my climbing partner decided they didn’t want to climb outdoors anymore. Too cold for them. So we went to the climbing wall in Llanberis. Only problem was I was wearing my Buffalo with nothing underneath it. If you want to sweat , wear a buffalo whilst climbing on an indoor wall.

OldShep

Über Member
Years ago I was climbing in north Wales in the winter. After a few climbs my climbing partner decided they didn’t want to climb outdoors anymore. Too cold for them. So we went to the climbing wall in Llanberis. Only problem was I was wearing my Buffalo with nothing underneath it. If you want to sweat , wear a buffalo whilst climbing on an indoor wall.
:laugh::laugh:
ive been wearing mine for 10years now but still recall going to buy one 25 years ago
It was an outdoor shop in the Lake District, it was busy, I took my shirt off and tried one on. It was a hot day in July and before I could get it off I was hot, bothered, and sweating put it back on the hangar and got outside as quick as I could.
25years on and now reluctant to ever take it off :laugh:

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I do often chuckle when out on pleasant spring days wearing appropriate clothing when I see fellow cyclist's ride by in full artic gear. :sad:
Even on really cold days, I never wear much more than a tee shirt and shorts. I'm freezing for the first half mile or so, but as soon as I hit the hills, I warm right up.

Fingers and toes suffer though.

Even on really cold days, I never wear much more than a tee shirt and shorts. I'm freezing for the first half mile or so, but as soon as I hit the hills, I warm right up.

Fingers and toes suffer though.

I have to be careful with that. Once I followed this policy on a cold day and like you I was fine once I'd climbed a hill. Then I was stopped by a pedestrian croossing. Next thing I knew I was on the floor with someone calling an ambulance: after checks they concluded my body temperature had dropped so quickly I'd passed out.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
My helmet straps are now white.
That happens too, moreso with my current Giro helmet than any I've had before from Spiuk/Lazer etc

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
That happens too, moreso with my current Giro helmet than any I've had before from Spiuk/Lazer etc
I bought mine online when the bike shops were shut during the first lockdown. Some Chinese make called "VictGoal".

It was the only one I could find which was available immediately. Nice bit of kit as it happens, but like all helmets, it makes your head sweat.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
I perspire .... lots !.
I pre-hydrate before a long ride with 1 litre of electrolyte mix before I leave home and that usually lasts the first hour - I then carry 2 x 750ml bidons with water, which last around an hour each if I’m riding fast. I’ve never ridden more than 3 hours in one go, so that’s uncharted territory.

rivers

How far can I go?
I always sweat, but how much depends how hard I am riding. I sweat way more on TTs than I do on social rides. My back tends to get sweaty on my commute from my backpack (I know I could use panniers, but I don't like them, so deal with the back sweat). And I sweat the most on the turbo, even with two fans going and windows wide open.

D

Deleted member 1258

Many riders often over dress for conditions as well. They dress for stationary rather than on the move. With no saddle bag they cannot switch between the two dressed states as necessary.

I did it Thursday, having not been out for a while I put on my winter kit, shortly after leaving the house I realised I could have done without the woolly hat, gloves and sweatshirt. I remember when a lot of us used to ride with saddle bags the size of small cases, we always had the option to take stuff of and put it in our saddle bags.

Top Bottom