Do you consider it rude when...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I would always reply to a pm. On a thread I would probably put a general cheers guys type responce if there were multiple respondents.

+1
It gets a bit devalued if you go through hitting like for every post or responding individually. Even on PM's there has to be a cut off point or you end up in some Miranda like never ending scene of not being the first to drop the politeness.

I'm with Drago on helping out of altrusim, not in the expectation of applause & I think post 2 is totally in contxt with the thread.

But its a new twist on the interminable 'waving at other riders' threads though so thanks for that.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
If I am the poster asking advice, I always try to acknowledge replies, helpful or otherwise. I tend to 'like' the replies I find helpful and as Ian says, the posters who start picking at other opinions may just leave the op feeling slightly miffed or even a tad embarrassed.
Rude - not particularly.

tyred

Legendary Member
I'm happy to give advice if I feel I can help someone. No thanks required.

I expect others to give me the same courtesy if I ask a question.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If somebody asks a direct question, and you give a satisfactory answer and the person reads the answer and does not say thank you, then that is as rude as it would be in real life. It is not the end of the world, but it is irksome.

Some people have poor social skills. There are examples not far from here ... :whistle:

I've seen examples where somebody suddenly appears on CC, doesn't introduce themselves, and just launches straight into a question, gets an answer, demands a follow-up and then just buggers off, never to be seen again. It would be rude to do that to somebody who gets paid for giving advice, but is even worse to treat unpaid 'volunteers' that way.

I was out walking on the local hills about 20 years ago when I came across a school party who were clearly lost. I could tell from the way that they spoke and were dressed that they were from a pretty 'up-market' establishment. I was about to ask if they needed help when one boy snapped his fingers, pointed down at the patch of ground in front of him and shouted "You - come here!" I was not right pleased ... :cursing:

The boy demanded to know the way to a local landmark. Despite my anger, I told him. He immediately swivelled round so his back was facing me and told the teacher and the other boys what I had told him. They began to walk away. It was too much for me. I walked in front of them and blocked their path.

A very irate ColinJ said:
You ignorant little sh*t! For somebody so young to demonstrate such breathtaking arrogance tells me that you were born into a family of arrogant sh*ts with similarly unacceptable attitudes!

Then, turning to the teacher ...

A still irate ColinJ said:
And the fact that you did nothing to correct the ignorant little sh*t tells me that you too were born probably born into a family of arrogant sh*ts and work in a school full of them!

I began to walk away, turned again and reminded them ...

An incandescent ColinJ said:
And, by the way, the words you were struggling to find were 'Thank you kind sir, for bothering to stop and help a bunch of gormless tw*ts who venture out onto the moors without a clue where they are going!'

So, er, yeah, I think that not thanking us for helpful posts is rude! :thumbsup:

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
If somebody asks a direct question, and you give a satisfactory answer and the person reads the answer and does not say thank you, then that is as rude as it would be in real life. It is not the end of the world, but it is irksome.

Some people have poor social skills. There are examples not far from here ... :whistle:

I've seen examples where somebody suddenly appears on CC, doesn't introduce themselves, and just launches straight into a question, gets an answer, demands a follow-up and then just buggers off, never to be seen again. It would be rude to do that to somebody who gets paid for giving advice, but is even worse to treat unpaid 'volunteers' that way.

I was out walking on the local hills about 20 years ago when I came across a school party who were clearly lost. I could tell from the way that they spoke and were dressed that they were from a pretty 'up-market' establishment. I was about to ask if they needed help when one boy snapped his fingers, pointed down at the patch of ground in front of him and shouted "You - come here!" I was not right pleased ... :cursing:

The boy demanded to know the way to a local landmark. Despite my anger, I told him. He immediately swivelled round so his back was facing me and told the teacher and the other boys what I had told him. They began to walk away. It was too much for me. I walked in front of them and blocked their path.

Then, turning to the teacher ...

I began to walk away, turned again and reminded them ...

So, er, yeah, I think that not thanking us for helpful posts is rude! :thumbsup:
I love your hill story Colin!!! If only I could spoo out some really clever, concise but sarcastic spiel when needed. I normally give the best speeches about 25 mins after the event and they have long since gone :rolleyes:

All these replies, and not a post of thanks...

;)
I should thank people for replies? I think not but thank you for pointing out that I should be thanking people :wacko:.
I don't expect thanks, why should I it's a forum
Really? So interaction with folks on a forum for you is different from face to face? I always believed that politeness should manifest itself in whatever interaction we have, more especially with strangers.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I always try to 'like' replies that have helped me, or sometimes just to politely acknowledge they've been read/appreciated when I have nothing to add to the thread. Thanking people for helping me out, I like to think happens automatically :smile:

I use google a lot to figure stuff out, particularly weird computer problems and it seems incredibly common for people to sign up to a forum, ask a question, get advice to a very specific uncommon problem and then vanish without letting anyone know if it worked or not, and of course not bothering to say thanks.

Top Bottom