Do you consider it rude when...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I give lots of tips and help on here, I don't expect a reply. Just the bike works. I have also sent bits to folk, that's between us, and it also builds the community. I give, I don't expect a reply.
That is how a really good forum builds. Folk you actually might really might want to meet in person ?

I'm trying to understand why it seems so normal for people to give help and not receive thanks or an acknowledgement.
I don't understand what you mean by "Just the bike works", did you mean "Thanks, what you suggested / sent me worked"? I still believe that whatever the mode of communication, being polite is a foundation of interaction and would argue [politely] that this is how a good forum builds, where mods are seen but not heard because it is possible to discuss and even argue without resorting to personal aggressive comments. There are countless examples of threads where contributors jump ship, presumably because of the aggressive attitude of those therein, I digress.
There are without doubt a few people on the forum you would not want to meet because of their bad attitude on threads, but then they are unlikely to show up on a forum / informal ride either, virtual being safer than reality :smile:.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Oddly enough, point 1 of "a few pieces of advice" in Another Place not far from here is:

"Be excellent to each other"

Closely followed at point 2 by "Party on dudes."

What is 'Another place not far from here?' Another film?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Why does it make a difference that this is a forum? If I stop and help someone out with a puncture for example (as I have done several times) then I would be most pist off if they just hopped on their bike and pedaled off into the sunset without so much as a thank-you. If someone on a forum (ANY forum) asks for help and I am able to take the time to help then I will do so. I don't do it because I am:-
expecting grovelling platitudes of thanks?
I do it because I want to help.
A simple acknowledgement would be basic manners IMHO; at the very least a "like".

Why does it make a difference that this is a forum? If I stop and help someone out with a puncture for example (as I have done several times) then I would be most pist off if they just hopped on their bike and pedaled off into the sunset without so much as a thank-you. If someone on a forum (ANY forum) asks for help and I am able to take the time to help then I will do so. I don't do it because I am:- I do it because I want to help.
A simple acknowledgement would be basic manners IMHO; at the very least a "like".

Thank you, [and a few others] thought I was flogging a dead horse for a while. We now occupy a world where face to face social interaction diminishes with the ability to communicate by text, internet, etc and I believe this does have an effect on levels of "social graces" and linguistic skills.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Thank you, [and a few others] thought I was flogging a dead horse for a while.

My pleasure! ^_^

It shouldn't be a surprise if you are flogging a dead horse though. My experience of SOME cyclists (or maybe that should just read "people") when I am out and about is that a sizeable proportion of us are arrogant, ignorant, to55ers. Reading some of the stuff on here does nothing to change my view. Sad to have to say it, especially on a cycling forum, but it is no wonder that many non cyclists do not like us. Please note the use of the word "SOME" cyclists before anyone takes umbrage :whistle:.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You have replied either on a thread or a pm to a "help" type question and you don't get a thank you or even a reply. It has happened a couple of times to me now and I am left wondering if this is normal, anyone else experienced this?

I did exactly this to you recently by mistake (normally I would thank someone for responding to a pm, as others I have asked questions to via pm can probably attest), with regards to this incident, I had a follow up question then forgot to respond to ask it. My apologies!

Top Bottom