Do you consider it rude when...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
But is that as rude as simply not helping someone for the satisfaction that brings, instead of expecting grovelling platitudes of thanks?

I think on a thread it is fine, I would expect a thanks if it was via PM though, at least an acknowledgement. It really wouldn't bother me if someone didn't thank me for giving advice on an open forum, there is more in life to worry about than that.
I agree to a point, but if someone has taken the time to write a fairly involved, accurate and helpful reply then surely a thanks is normal? Sigh, perhaps I am getting old :sad:.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I would always reply to a pm. On a thread I would probably put a general cheers guys type responce if there were multiple respondents.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Oh and the like function is a good way of thanking people imho.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I think on a thread it is fine, I would expect a thanks if it was via PM though, at least an acknowledgement. It really wouldn't bother me if someone didn't thank me for giving advice on an open forum, there is more in life to worry about than that.
This, I think.

Sometimes on a thread there are so many replies and to thank them all is awkward. I must admit to having posed a question in the past and then completely forgotten about it.:blush:
That is unintentional though and I do apologise to those who did reply.

By PM it is best to reply and acknowledge a response as someone has taken time to specifically assist a personal request for help.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It doesn't help sometimes when a member (especially in beginners) asks a know how or technical question and other members jump right in with sarky comments, or a tit for tat erupts between members as to who's method/way/opinion is right. This just leaves people peeved off probably not wanting to return to the thread.

And I answered it - it's just as rude to give assistance expecting praise, as it is to be assisted and offer no thanks.

I didn't realise we could give any answer we wanted, just so long as it suits you to hear it.
Praise is different from thanks and is something I would never expect or indeed look for. Politeness costs nothing and stops threads from degenerating into slanging matches, which I might add are unlikely to happen if the protagonists were to meet in real life.

Top Bottom