Do you enjoy your job.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am also involved with the motor trade as I sell and carry out training for PDR, I have noticed a big down turn in inquiries, also the list of garages going bankrupt is growing daily.

I do however enjoy my business, which you could call my job.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I love my job.... I get to make a difference to others.
If i'm having a bad day, I know by the time I've left work I can generally guarantee that someone (who deserves it) is going to be having a worse one!
I spend the majority of my time on two wheels which is also a bonus!

Gis-a-job-mister :smile:

Sadly, too many folk are wage slaves; turning up because they have to, no desire, no enthusiasm. They may not 'hate' their jobs but they'd rather be elsewhere. With luck, you enjoy the company of the people you work with and that can make it worthwhile.

Couldn't agree more. There is nothing worse than the feeling that you are wasting your life in a job that doesn't give you satisfaction. As the saying goes, life's not a rehearsal. We spend so much of our waking lives at work that we really should make sure we're doing things that we enjoy and that make us happy.

The problem is, while you have a mortgage to pay, kids to feed etc etc (and I'm past both now thankfully and hurtling towards retirement) you can feel 'trapped' into maintaining the status quo, putting up with the frustrations and negatives of the job because the money is crucial and change is risky.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Absolutely love it! Work 20 hours a week for 40 weeks of the year in my own business. That and 2 company pensions that I took early gives me way more money than we can spend.

Started out in retail, ended up as a Regional Director, moved into legal sector and anded up as MD of a fair sized company. Earned shed loads but never saw my wife/home.

10 years ago we decided to quit the rat race and then spent 3 years killing our mortgage/other debts and to this day we owe precisely £0 to anyone. Have a really gorgeous house in the Lakes and it is lovely to know it is all ours - I spent a great deal of my life worrying about mortgages and losing the house!

Then turned the gravy train off at the age of 48. That was hard to do. I won't be so crass as to say what I earn't but it was a ludicrous amount and that gets quite addictive.

Got a bit bored, so I potter about doing my 'small business' thing and I swear I have never been happier.

Oddly, I used to dream of retiring when I was working more or less every (long) day for years but now I just want to chug along until my body tells me different. I'd definitely miss the social interaction with my customers which seems much more important to me nowadays.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Love mine at the moment - I'm on holiday !

Pro's and con's - too much to do, not enough time to put the 'thought' into it - feel a bit like a conveyor belt sometimes. Colleagues I work with on sites are great, and enjoy helping them. Central Function staff have the 'us in the middle know best' attitude.

Pay and holiday's are OK, and I get to cycle to work. Find the job boring, but I'm not working long hours (done enough of that).

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I teach web design, networking and computer systems at Poole college to 16+ upto to A level standard (and a little bit beyond). I also run the teaching team as I'm deputy head of the department. I'm in charge of all FE applied computing and electronics courses :smile:

I love my job. I've done all sorts from car sales, a chef, financial advisor, estate agent and nothing comes close to seeing that 1 in 50 'hard work' students leave me after 2 years to go to uni or into a job. The chance to change someones life for the better is the most amazing thing I think I can do with my life :smile:

I get good holidays, get to leave work whenever I like (provided I'm not supposed to be teaching) and the pay isn't too bad (getting a big pay rise next year).

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Absolutely love it! Work 20 hours a week for 40 weeks of the year in my own business. That and 2 company pensions that I took early gives me way more money than we can spend.

Started out in retail, ended up as a Regional Director, moved into legal sector and anded up as MD of a fair sized company. Earned shed loads but never saw my wife/home.

10 years ago we decided to quit the rat race and then spent 3 years killing our mortgage/other debts and to this day we owe precisely £0 to anyone. Have a really gorgeous house in the Lakes and it is lovely to know it is all ours - I spent a great deal of my life worrying about mortgages and losing the house!

Then turned the gravy train off at the age of 48. That was hard to do. I won't be so crass as to say what I earn't but it was a ludicrous amount and that gets quite addictive.

Got a bit bored, so I potter about doing my 'small business' thing and I swear I have never been happier.

Oddly, I used to dream of retiring when I was working more or less every (long) day for years but now I just want to chug along until my body tells me different. I'd definitely miss the social interaction with my customers which seems much more important to me nowadays.
Pretty much what I did. I had a driving school in Essex and jacked it in ten years ago to move to Wales. Better house and the difference in prices alone meant we cleared all debts and had a fair bit left over along with what we'd made from the business. Even though I don't earn near what I did then it's enough and the work I do now is as stress free as any job can be while making us enough to live as we want, which is fairly modestly.

While I've got my health I'll never be unemployed, there is always a way of making a living if you're prepared to work for yourself.

Top Bottom