Do you enjoy your job.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I like enough aspects of my job to make it worthwhile. I like starting projects, figuring out how to do stuff. I get fed up once I've done that- scale-up, getting the product into manufacturing, collecting all the test data for launch. Yawn. Plus there's reorganizations from time to time.

Good commute too, 9 miles shortest but when it's nice I've got 15 miles, almost traffic-free, through the lanes. Plus longer options for those summer evenings.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
NO - I just hate working full-stop, it get's in the way of cycling and other things I enjoy but without the pay there would be no cycling - viscious circle - need to win lotto!

Arch

Married to Night Train
I mostly enjoy mine, I'm outdoors most of the time, I get exercise, I get to sort things. The people are good, we have some daft conversations.

It's a bit harder at the moment, we're going through some reorganisation and we're a bit more stretched, but by and large it's alright.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm not a great believer in the dignity of labour but it's something and I have absolute proof of the indignity of unemployment. I can't wait till I can retire and get myself a decent touring bike.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I love my job... usually something different every day. relatively quick turn-around so the variety keeps it interesting and stops me vegetating. Only had one bad client/contractor massive fall-out in 17 years so can't complain [but I would given encouragement].

Which one, I have a few.
Job 1. Bikeability instructor working with schoolchildren teaching them how to cycle on the roads safely and hopefully inspiring them to get on their bikes more often. And being out in the fresh air all day. Do I enjoy it? whaddaya think?
Job 2. Freelance photographer trying to earn part of my living from something I enjoy and have a passion for. Sometimes things get a bit frustrating and i struggle with the business side of things but I enjoy the shooting and I like working with people.
Job 3. Casual stocktaker working in pokey little shops or big grimey DIY outlets emdlessly (and mindlessly) scanning barcodes to earn a few peanuts which may help keep the wolves from the door. bloody hate it but it's a case of needs must
Jobs 4+ anything temporary/casual/short notice. The latest is working in Asda over the Christmas stocking the shelves, shiftwork plays havoc with my system but the rest of the staff are a good bunch and time seems to fly. Hauling bulk beer from a pallet to a shelf saves going to the gym for a workout.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I have been a postman since 1989 and the sorting office is like a second home. I love my job (I drive the lorries now) and can't see myself leaving. I know everyone and have made some life long friends. I know all the scams to make a bit of time here and there for an extra coffee break or nip off a bit early. I work the night shift which is seen as the long serving posties shift, everything is a little easier and more relaxed. And even in this age of everything p.c the blokeyness of the workplace is still there.

colly

Re member eR
I do enjoy what I do. If I didn't I would stop and do something else. I have done in the past a few times.

It has it's downsides of course and sometimes when I am having a bad run I get to wondering if the downsides outweigh all the good things.
The only things I don't have which would make things better are:

Company, I work on my own for 95% of the time, and commute, I have a workshop 20 m from my back door. Of course I COULD simply get on the bike and do 10 miles every morning before I start but somehow when there are things to do (as there always are) going out for 45 mins is just a distraction. So I get on with work.

As for company I do have a good number of contacts who I see frequently during the week and many are friends so it isn't as bleak as it sounds. Customers too, I see, but that's not quite the same.

Unlike depfordmarmoset above I do believe in the dignity of labour.
Not that we should be grateful to be able to work or that without work we are nothing, but just about everyone has to earn a living, and you might as well do whatever it is as well as you can and if you are lucky enough to enjoy it in the process then so much the better.
There is a great deal to be said for the self respect than comes from doing a job well.
It isn't what you do or how much money you make. As DM says the indignity of unemployment is something none of us would welcome.

Of course should I win the lottery then I could choose to work or not. It would be nice to have that choice.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Most of the time i enjoy doing what i do, some times i get a bit peed of, i don't get enough time off to do the things i enjoy, but at least i have a job and have never been out of work, so i am one of the lucky ones.
I would love to retire though, but i can't see that happening.

Nearly there

Veteran
My last job was a 5 or 6 day week 45-55 hrs excluding an hour each way commute my new job is a 4 day week 40hrs 5 minute commute(by car:evil:) and pays 8k a year more so yeah :biggrin:

yello

For me, it's almost a definition thing. A 'job' is something you do reluctantly; you'd prefer to do something else (if your were honest) but needs must. Or, stated t'other way around, if you enjoy what yo do then it's not a job.

I enjoyed my time when self employed, also when contracting though a little less so but I invariably hated all my salaried roles. I fully admit to having what some would call an attitude problem. knowing what I know, I would not employ me!

I am genuinely envious of those that enjoy turning up for work each day. That was never me and I'm pleased it's all behind me (I hope anyway!)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
No i do not like it.Boring repetitive and promotion is based more on how well you get on with the boss rather than ability.

Got a good pension and healthcare and about the best paid job i will get , keeping a roof over the heads of the family and food on the table is more important to me than my personal happiness, i am happier to do the job and keep the family happy than to do a job i enjoy and not be able to support the family.

Top Bottom