Do you feel your home could be haunted?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I certainly feel haunted by something, can't quite put my finger on what though.

You left the iron on. HTH.

tyred

Legendary Member
I suddenly remembered this from school!

COLONEL FAZACKERLEY BUTTERWORTH-TOAST
by
Charles Causley

Colonel Fazackerley Butterworth-Toast
Bought an old castle complete with a ghost,
But someone or other forgot to declare
To Colonel Fazak that the spectre was there.

On the very first evening, while waiting to dine,
The Colonel was taking a fine sherry wine,
When the ghost, with a furious flash and a flare,
Shot out of the chimney and shivered, 'Beware!'

Colonel Fazackerley put down his glass
And said, 'My dear fellow, that's really first class!
I just can't conceive how you do it at all.
I imagine you're going to a Fancy Dress Ball?'

At this, the dread ghost made a withering cry.
Said the Colonel (his monocle firm in his eye),
'Now just how you do it, I wish I could think.
Do sit down and tell me, and please have a drink.'

The ghost in his phosphorous cloak gave a roar
And floated about between ceiling and floor.
He walked through a wall and returned through a pane
And backed up the chimney and came down again.

Said the Colonel, 'With laughter I'm feeling quite weak!'
(As trickles of merriment ran down his cheek).
'My house-warming party I hope you won't spurn.
You MUST say you'll come and you'll give us a turn!'

At this, the poor spectre - quite out of his wits -
Proceeded to shake himself almost to bits.
He rattled his chains and he clattered his bones
And he filled the whole castle with mumbles and moans.

But Colonel Fazackerley, just as before,
Was simply delighted and called out, 'Encore!'
At which the ghost vanished, his efforts in vain,
And never was seen at the castle again.

'Oh dear, what a pity!' said Colonel Fazak.
'I don't know his name, so I can't call him back.'
And then with a smile that was hard to define,
Colonel Fazackerley went in to dine.

Way back in 2000 my wife and I and daughter and B.I.L and his family went to Normandy for a holiday. We were staying in a converted coach hose / stable at a Chateau. The only uncomfortable feeling I felt was that the house was upside down, the living room was upstairs and the room we were sleeping in felt damp. My wife and her brother didn't feel very comfortable staying there but they didn't mention it at the time.
One evening my B.l.L , wife and 2 yr old son went for a walk down the lanes leading from the château, they returned early. When they got back they told my wife and I that their son had become distressed, saying he was frightened by all of the soldiers in the lane. There was no people there except themselves.
Later on in the week we met the Landlord of the chateau, he was British and had bought it as a ruin. The Chateau was used as the headquarters for the Gestapo in the area and was on a route from the coast to Saint Lo.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've been talking to a local historian type,since i last posted. He backs my ghostly happenings experience,saying his mother was in here till her death in 2009. He told me of "spooky happenings" when he visited her His theory for such happenings is that the land on which this building stands was formerly a terraced street. Nothing unusual about that. Then he told me that before that there was a workhouse type building here before the terraced houses. The house had it's own little graveyard,where the inmates of the house were buried. He said they were regarded as too low in society to be given "proper burials"so they simply dug a hole,then after a simple ceremony the grave was filled in and the deceased was forgotten. So there are long gone dead people under this building Maybe that has something to do with it?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Ok it's me again with another thread about me,but i'd like to know that i'm not alone on this one. I've been getting spooky feelings about this flat i'm in,for the last week or so. Tapping noises,a tap dripping even though i've tightened it up,scratching noises coming from the built in wardrobe,howling wind noises coming through the windows,even though they're fully shut and nearly new,a feeling that someone's opened the front door,when i'm in the shower and stuff like that. There's a tapping,scratching noise coming from the kitchen area. There's a little room in the kitchen,that's just big enough to put stuff in like a mop and bucket and other long, but not wide stuff. As i post i can hear a bumping sound coming out of there. I've opened the door suddenly before,but there's nothing there apart from a mop and a few tins of paint.
This being sheltered accommodation, it's to be expected that someone's died in this flat. Infact i know someone's died in it because the next door neighbour told me he found him dead in bed,in here.
The number of my flat is 13,if that means anything? I know 13 is regarded as a bad luck number. Do any of you have or get similar feelings about where you live,or maybe where you work or any other building you visit or stay in?

You are probably not alone on this. Many folk believe in the supernatural - I'm not one of them btw. There's even 26 (at least) in the House of Lords which is far from comforting as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe these would help you?

Plugs.jpg

MikeG

Guru
Do you feel your home could be haunted?

There is no such thing. There have been countless efforts to try to substantiate the existence of ghosts, or whatever, and not one single scientific test in the entire history of man has found anything which falls outside of the fundamental laws of physics. If there is stuff going on in your house, it has an orthodox physical explanation: a dodgy tap washer, a mouse in the cupboard etc.........or it originates in the imagination of observer. The latter is not a perjorative. Humans are poor observers, seeing patterns where they don't exist and so on. Unearth the physical explanations and get them seen to before you start foisting irrational fairy stories on yourself.

MikeG

Guru
.......The house had it's own little graveyard........

So what? Seriously, what do you think dead people have got to do with anything? If this bollocks had any semblance of logic to it, hospitals and hospices would be over-run with ghosts. An observer would just sit there and video them.

Someone died about 20 years ago in this very room where I sit typing. It's a 300 year old building. I'll bet dozens or more people have died here over the years. So what? Dead people are dead. After death there is nothing.

U

User169

There is no such thing. There have been countless efforts to try to substantiate the existence of ghosts, or whatever, and not one single scientific test in the entire history of man has found anything which falls outside of the fundamental laws of physics. If there is stuff going on in your house, it has an orthodox physical explanation: a dodgy tap washer, a mouse in the cupboard etc.........or it originates in the imagination of observer. The latter is not a perjorative. Humans are poor observers, seeing patterns where they don't exist and so on. Unearth the physical explanations and get them seen to before you start foisting irrational fairy stories on yourself.

:wacko:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
So what? Seriously, what do you think dead people have got to do with anything? If this bollocks had any semblance of logic to it, hospitals and hospices would be over-run with ghosts. An observer would just sit there and video them.

Someone died about 20 years ago in this very room where I sit typing. It's a 300 year old building. I'll bet dozens or more people have died here over the years. So what? Dead people are dead. After death there is nothing.

I take it that you're an atheist and you don't believe in any form of afterlife then?:whistle:

Top Bottom