do you filter up to the lights when traffic lights are on red?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
I was waiting about 6 cars back on a single lane residential street with no cycle lane or cycle area at the lights. Couple of cyclists weaved past me and the 5 or 6 cars in front and got to the front and then were straight out of the blocks on amber. Of course the cars behind them were soon looking for a way to overtake.....I couldn't be bothered for a relatively small gain. What's the etiquette here? You may not know if there is a cycle area at the lights so if not is it ok to park yourself in front of the car at the head of the queue?

simon.r

Person
If I think I'll get through the next time the lights change I'll just stay in the queue. If it's a very long queue I may well filter to the front, or near the front. If there's an ASL all well and good, if not there's always somewhere big enough to slot a bike in.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Some times I do, sometimes I don't. On my commute I pretty much know the sequence of any of the lights at junctions. If I know it's going to be a long wait I may get to the front, especially if there's an ASL, sometimes if there's not. If I know I won't have time then I will hang back. If I'm in the way of any car that want's to overtake and they can't overtake then that's tough. They just have to wait.

vickster

Legendary Member
Technically you should stop behind the stop line at the lights, with or without an ASL. If no ASL as above, usually a spot to slot in

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
If I think I'll get through the next time the lights change I'll just stay in the queue. If it's a very long queue I may well filter to the front, or near the front.

Same here.

If you know you're going to get through on the first green then there's no point in squeezing past cars that are only going to have to overtake you again as soon as the lights change.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I stop next to the first gap, between cars one and two, then merge in when the lights change. I won't wait in line because there are too many nose-tail shunts. I'm lucky in that most traffic lights near me have cycle track bypasses.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'll filter far enough to have a good chance of getting through on the next green light. If there are road works with a narrow restriction, and there are not many cars in the queue, I'll let them go first. I don't see any point in holding them up when it costs me only a few seconds. Sometimes they give a wave of thanks......

KERRRRRRRCHINGGGGGGG!

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm trying out different routes on my commute, and this evenings one had very bad queues so I filtered past stationary traffic a number of times, probably passing 10-20 cars minimum each time. I think I'll choose another route for next time, I prefer to keep moving than start stop all the time.

If I know the light sequence I'm more likely to filter towards the front, and find somewhere to slot in, it's rare I've not been able to rejoin the traffic.

T4tomo

Guru
Depends where you are, if it somewhere where cars will instantly overtake you and roads are narrow, then pointless filtering. In london, always filter as bikes are quicker than cars through the traffic, so your going to have to overtake them at some point.

PK99

Legendary Member
Depends where you are, if it somewhere where cars will instantly overtake you and roads are narrow, then pointless filtering. In london, always filter as bikes are quicker than cars through the traffic, so your going to have to overtake them at some point.

Depends which bit of London you are in and which roads you are on. On very few of the urban roads (SW19/20 and out) I ride would that apply other than in Rush hour.

classic33

Leg End Member
Depends on the traffic and the time of day, as well as what type of road.

Rush hour with the school run thrown in isn't worth it.

Also worth considering any diversions in place, that may lead to heavier traffic.

mick1836

Über Member
I was waiting about 6 cars back on a single lane residential street with no cycle lane or cycle area at the lights. Couple of cyclists weaved past me and the 5 or 6 cars in front and got to the front and then were straight out of the blocks on amber. Of course the cars behind them were soon looking for a way to overtake.....I couldn't be bothered for a relatively small gain. What's the etiquette here? You may not know if there is a cycle area at the lights so if not is it ok to park yourself in front of the car at the head of the queue?

There's a large criticism along with video's of motorists closely passing cyclists but what about when cyclists ride up closely past a line of stationary or slow moving vehicles??

Top Bottom