do you filter up to the lights when traffic lights are on red?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'm not sure that there is an etiquette.

Just ride how you feel comfortable, if one day that means filtering to the front, do it, if one day it doesn't...then dont.

Most car drivers don't really give a hoot either way...only the idiots, who are just idiots.

Jody

Stubborn git
Depends on the length of queue as to wether I would wait or filter. If its only a few cars or I would get through on the change of lights then I would wait. Anything more than that and I would filter up to the front.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Same as most I decide by a few factors how long I will wait, can I wait where I am and get through on the green plus how likely am I to get stuck mid pass and the traffic starts to move off.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Not they way I drive!

You don't mean to say you actually do your own driving? I thought you were a gentleman?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sounds like I'm similar to most here. If it's a short queue and it looks like I will get through on the next green I just wait in line. If the queue is longer I will filter. Usually up the outside but no hard and fast rule. Really depends how wide the road is and where the filtering space is

What I wouldn't do though is filter all the way to the front by going up the inside if there is a left turn at the lights. I'd worry about being caught a few cars from the front when the lights change and get left hooked. In those circumstances I'll hold back a few cars and look to take a central position when the traffic starts moving

You don't mean to say you actually do your own driving? I thought you were a gentleman?
If it's good enough for Her Maj...
gallery-1473706339-gettyimages-491849921.jpg

Attachments

• gallery-1473706339-gettyimages-491849921.jpg
    gallery-1473706339-gettyimages-491849921.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 56

Lonestar

Veteran
I did today up Stopford Road East Ham when some tithead of a BT Open Reach tried a well dodgy overtake for a MGIF trick.Had to move out to stop the car behind trying the same thing.As he passed I shouted that's pretty pointless and again as I filtered past.(As there was cars stacked up to the lights.) Generally if I haven't got a point to prove it varies on circumstances whether I do or not.Didn't seem him after the lights.I guess he turned left or right.

mythste

Veteran
If I know the road/junction I'll typically filter up, If I don't or I'm concerned about something I can (or can't) see up ahead, I won't.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I use the same commute day in, day out, so know the light sequences. If I'm going to get through the green waiting in a line of cars then I will, if not I'll filter to the front (ish).
When the traffics bad on the dual carriageway I will filter between the 2 lanes. Worth remembering how wide your bars are at this point, or you get sore fingers:whistle:

keithmac

Guru
I've notice recently a few people pulling over to give me room when filtering down the side of stationery traffic, I always give them a thumbs up (rightly so!).

If I do filter it's slowly and keeping a beady eye open, I've only been doored once and that was enough!.

To be fair on my commute there is a cycle box on the majority of the traffic lights. I hang back of there's a lorry or rubbish truck at the front of the queue as no point making it awkward for both of us.

Worst is the cyclists who jump the red lights while you're waiting, then get in the bloody way. I overtook a nobber twice doing this on the same trip..

Top Bottom