do you filter up to the lights when traffic lights are on red?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
There's a large criticism along with video's of motorists closely passing cyclists but what about when cyclists ride up closely past a line of stationary or slow moving vehicles??
They aren't endangering the motorists unlike your other scenario ;) I only filter very carefully and as far outof the doorzone as possible. I very rarely filter between queues of traffic moving in the same direction

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Nope, I plonk myself in the middle of the lane whether behind something or first in the queue.

There is nothing to gain here with almost no cycling infrastructure (asls etc)

winjim

Smash the cistern
There's a large criticism along with video's of motorists closely passing cyclists but what about when cyclists ride up closely past a line of stationary or slow moving vehicles??
I do it all the time. Feel free to video me.

dim

in Cambridge in the city, it's not about worrying about the cars....

it's about the other cyclists .... some really slow ones here that hold up the flow of the other cyclists so many cyclists try and get to the front of the queue

Are you serious? A car weighs over a tonne, a bike, 10Kg It's all about momentum. If you are unsure lets play a game. I'll run into your car at 10mph, then afterwards I'll drive at you standing still at 10mph. I might even visit you in hospital.

If you still find any of this confusing, please find a 12 year old who will happily explain the physics to you.

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along

They aren't endangering the motorists unlike your other scenario ;) I only filter very carefully and as far outof the doorzone as possible. I very rarely filter between queues of traffic moving in the same direction

Are you serious? A car weighs over a tonne, a bike, 10Kg It's all about momentum. If you are unsure lets play a game. I'll run into your car at 10mph, then afterwards I'll drive at you standing still at 10mpg. I might even visit you in hospital.

If you still find any of this confusing, please find a 12 year old who will happily explain the physics to you.

To be fair we're not talking about crashing into one another, that is a whole different scenario. Everyone on bike on foot or in a MV understands impacts are a bad thing, not everyone has the same experience from the same standpoint &/or doesn't/hasn't thought about it enough to get the differences of proximity passing in different modes of transport though.

To put a bit of counterbalance for mick1836.

I have had that conversation with motoring colleagues and the simple physics, mass and amount of air turbulence and disturbance arguments is lost on them when explaining why I get upset if they pass me at 30 odd mph 18 inches from my elbow but why I will happily do similar at ~10 mph when I'm filtering stationary traffic.

They generally have no experience from routine cycling for how it feels to be close passed on a bike so don't have that point of reference nor a vested interest in thinking it through. It is another part of the driving culture that to a degree or other we all fall into if we drive, the safe, airtight, quite soundproofed cocoon divorcing us from the world around and considerations of it.

in Cambridge in the city, it's not about worrying about the cars....

it's about the other cyclists .... some really slow ones here that hold up the flow of the other cyclists so many cyclists try and get to the front of the queue

Very much this^

Get a lot of bods who will force their way through and then poodle along causing a nice tailback although it's quite funny to stop have someone force pass and then overtake them again,this happens a lot along Mill Road especially going over the bridge.Mill Road also seems to be a favourite area of the red light ignorers and the Coleridge Rd junction is a favoutite place for cars to run redswhich is very iffy as the sequencing of the lights there is pretty quick.

As for filtering it depends on the junction and what's in the queue,in some cases it's better to actually filter on the right of the traffic rather than squeezing through on the inside.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
To answer the OP. I'm like @ianrauk too. Sometimes I do, Sometimes I don't depends on how far up I can see, if I can see a safe and sensible drop in point, whether I'm just ambling along without time being a factor, how well I know the bit of road and prevailing driving etc. There is no one size fits all rule and common sense should be applied.

To add another wiggle into the mix, by preference I will filter on the right of traffic = motorbike like and on the drivers side so more likely to be looked out for (particularly in less cycle-y areas) and more likely to be seen in their peripheral view of their wing mirror.

I'm also more visible to the oncoming traffic e.g. if there's their right turns coming up so I'm not a last minute surprise if some helpful driver in my queue has flashed them on without checking around themselves properly.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'll almost always filter to the front of the queue where possible. Not doing so is pointless and I may as well be in a car. :rolleyes:

To pile on...
Pedestrians complain when a car passes them closely, but what about when pedestrians move pass stopped cars so closely they brush them with their clothing?

There is no clear answer and it can depend on local knowledge

I have a crossroads on my commute

If the lights allow oncoming traffic then filtering up the cycle lane to the ASL is fine and safe

If lights allow the oncoming traffic to turn right then it is safe if they have just turned green, but the next change will see my line of traffic move and being in the cycle lane at all is dodgy as you WILL be left hooked, so join the traffic flow at this point

So the same junction can be safe and unsafe to filter

Top Bottom