Do you get attached to your bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
My bso is heavy, starting to rust and spends most of it's time in the yard, but I wouldn't sell it as it's so cute, and it has a lovely pink basket.
Much as I love to ride my vita I'm far less emotional about it and when I decide on, and save up for , my next bike I, like as not, will sell it.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
My bike purchases took months of research, test rides and reading reviews. I only my bought them after I was certain they would do what I wanted. I then spent time and effort personalising the bike fit and accessories and I would hate to lose all that.

But I don't have any emotional attachment.

simon.r

Person
I've bought and sold many bikes over the years but I have two 'keepers' that I do feel some attachment to. If I'm honest I'd be upset if they were stolen or damaged beyond repair, even the one that could be replaced by the virtually identical current model.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No.
Have no attachment to my bikes what so ever. Happy to sell one on if it means I am getting a new one.
OMG.

You haven't had an artisan built bike for you yet. I did that at 20 years old, had to wait, and had to not act like a 20 year old to get it, as Frank was an awkward bugger, but he happened to like me and did sort out a fancy paint job I penned out on paper... My instructions were not to go in like a young lad.. Ie I know my stuff, you don't. Worked, I got a smashing bike I love riding. I would never sell it..had offers, it needs to be used.

D

Deleted member 1258

Its more a love/hate relationship but yes I can get attached to them.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm not attached to the Brommie, but only because I know it can be replaced.

Three burglaries have taught me not to get too attached to any material possession.

Might be different if I had an irreplaceable bike.

Crankarm

Guru
I have had a bike now for about 6/7 years and I feel like I am somehow attached to it. I wouldnt want to lose it or damage it unnecessarily and I seem to be spending a lot on keeping it in good condition.
I have been through a lot with this bike (first race, first fall, first collision) so it holds a certain sentimental value to me.

However, lately it has become more of a hybrid than a racer and weighs about 40/50kg. It is starting to get rusty and the components now need changing. Its pretty crap but I dont want to sell it and get a new one.

Why am I lusting for it to love me back?

Do you have a gf? If not, this could be why.

Yes, yes, no, no and no.

I was also attached to the Vertex i just sold but i realised i was never going to get round to building it back up and it has made a friend very happy.

400bhp

Guru
No.
Have no attachment to my bikes what so ever. Happy to sell one on if it means I am getting a new one.

+1

Just bits of metal and rubber arranged in a functional way to aid travel between two places.

Just don't tell Colin that. Colin being the name of a certain bike

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Looking back on a bike you no longer have is like looking back to a relationship that ended many years ago. You probably only remember the happy times, not the chain that whipped your legs and the shoddy paint job. Aye, that was one of my more interesting girlfriends I can tell ya.

What were we talking about?

Top Bottom