Do you get attached to your bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I felt a wistful sadness as I saw my FCR3 sold. It was off to a good home which I found comforting. So yes, I was attached to it emotionally. More than I thought.

As I have got to know my newest bike better over the past year, having maintained the hubs and BB, I've become more attached to/in tune with it.

Chris Norton

My old road bike of 20 years ago was my first quality bike and was good for 4 years of hard riding. My new Trek is giving me that kind of pleasure and I've not had it in good weather yet.

The cheap dunlop piece of s#+t from Sports Direct was the complete opposite and I would have happily put in it the crusher the day the rear hub collapsed.

Big A

Yep, I've got a mtb which I haven't touched since I bought my road bike, but it has massive sentimental value as it helped me lose 60 pounds so I'll never sell it. Looking at upgrading the road bike this year aslo, but will still keep both current bikes, the current roadie will become the winter bike

Big A

Yep, I've got a mtb which I haven't touched since I bought my road bike, but it has massive sentimental value as it helped me lose 60 pounds so I'll never sell it. Looking at upgrading the road bike this year aslo, but will still keep both current bikes, the current roadie will become the winter bike

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'm pretty attached to the Vivente tourer I've been using for commutes and recreational rides for just over 4 years now (and over 55,000km). I was hesitant at first about buying the new Specialized road bike I got about 3 months ago, because I thought my attention might be too split between the 2 bikes and 1 would end up being neglected, but having done 1000km on the new bike I'm happy with using them both, the tourer for commuting and the road bike for weekend rides.

I'm not even sure the Vivente tourer can be classified as the same bike I originally bought, as the only original parts left are: frame, cranks, handlebars and brifters. Everything else has worn out with use and been replaced at least once.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The only attachment I have to my bikes is by the feet
The last time I felt really attached to my bike was in February 2011 in Battersea Park. I was six minutes into my first ride with SPDs, came to a halt, and went over. Lying horizontal on the tarmac with the bike still between my legs, I couldn't get the bloody thing off me. Attached......pah!

HovR

Über Member
I would probably say I am attached to my bikes, but some more than others.

Two of my bikes were given to me by family members who used to ride the bikes back in their youth (high quality Reynolds steel racers), so they have a high sentimental value and are irreplaceable. I'd be gutted if something happened to them, and I think I'd end up paying over the value of the bike to repair the frame if they were somehow damaged.

My Peugeot commuter and general town bike I built up myself from a frame found in someones garden shed, so no real sentimental value (which is good as it means I don't mind leaving it in bike racks), although I'd still be disappointed if something happened to it as it's my trusty reliable day to day bike.

I also have a cheap mountain bike turned hybrid (not the yellow Specialized) which I'm not attached to at all. The frame's not too bad but it's covered in low quality components and is really too small for me, making it not the most pleasant bike to ride. I've long term loaned it to a friend so it's not taking up space in my garage and he has a bike to ride on the odd occasion he wants to.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
I had a 10 speed Raleigh Stratos that I did the LEJOG on back in 1986. I sold it to fund a custom built Harry Hall. Recently as I looked through old photos I had a pang of regret at letting it go. So I bought a similar one off ebay for £35! Sad or what!!

Top Bottom