Do you get attached to your bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have had a bike now for about 6/7 years and I feel like I am somehow attached to it. I wouldnt want to lose it or damage it unnecessarily and I seem to be spending a lot on keeping it in good condition.
I have been through a lot with this bike (first race, first fall, first collision) so it holds a certain sentimental value to me.

However, lately it has become more of a hybrid than a racer and weighs about 40/50kg. It is starting to get rusty and the components now need changing. Its pretty crap but I dont want to sell it and get a new one.

Why am I lusting for it to love me back?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't know what you are talking about. :thumbsup:

3 of my bikes are over 20 years old, one has been used very regularly through this winter (and looked after) and the other bike is nearly 4 years old.

The MTB has done a lot, so have the other bikes. MTB has had spectacular crashes on and off road, mangled a car, then been up Snowdon, in the Peaks, and even used as a skinny tyred slicked up commuter. Best bike has been raced, trained on, and ridden all round the Isle of Mann on the International Cycling Week 2-3 times.

Attached, oh yes. ^_^

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
by christ yes!

I only have the one bike and I love every inch of it... when i bought it it was 'the last bike i'll ever buy' and hopefully it will last me a lifetime. It's not great by today's standards, but that's not the point.

Years ago when i was a lad and BMX's were all the rage, they had the larger cruiser style BMX's and remember thinking "I've love one of those, in chrome, with loads of gears on it." (Yes... I invented the modern MTB and got NO credit!) .. that's pretty much what I've got now, my childhood dream bike.

I honestly would cry if it got stolen.

Biker Joe

Über Member
I am very attached to my bikes. Particularly the road bike.
They are part of who I am.

I have had a bike now for about 6/7 years and I feel like I am somehow attached to it. I wouldnt want to lose it or damage it unnecessarily and I seem to be spending a lot on keeping it in good condition.
I have been through a lot with this bike (first race, first fall, first collision) so it holds a certain sentimental value to me.

However, lately it has become more of a hybrid than a racer and weighs about 40/50kg. It is starting to get rusty and the components now need changing. Its pretty crap but I dont want to sell it and get a new one.

I had the impression you were 17 or 18. You have done well to keep riding a bike you had when you were 10, 11 or 12.

It is like a cat. It will not love you back.

It differs from a cat in not being permanently hungry and not crapping in shoes.

Do not waste your love on it. Sell it. It has no immortal soul and will not nourish your life with love.

It is a bicycle.

I was attached to my Kona; i just wish I wasn't literally atatched to it when that car puleld out in front of me :smile:

I haven't become attached to any of my current bikes yet but I'm sure I will in due course.

lulubel

Über Member
It is like a cat. It will not love you back.

My cat loves me.

I don't think the Surly does, though. (But that's OK because I have enough love for both of us.)

Yes, I'm very attached to the Surly. I think this is because I built it from scratch with my own choice of components, so I know every little bit of it - even the bits you can't see because they're inside the frame - in a way I've never known any of my previous bikes. It's also my quirky, non-conforming bike, the bike that makes it clear that I'm a individual, I want what I want, and I will not settle for a one-size-fits-all, off-the-shelf product.

PK99

Legendary Member

Check this one out

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7095134.stm

Top Bottom