Do you have a bike specifically dedicated to the turbo trainer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use the turbo trainer. My partner uses the turbo trainer.

My bike has thru axles. Her bike has quick release.

So far it's been a constant swapping of bikes and adaptors. It's an almost everyday thing. Huge pain in the butt.

I'm thinking of putting my old gravel bike on the turbo and that's it, on the turbo it stays, we both use it. Only thing I'd have to do is buy another seatpost so she can have her saddle and I can have mine. Much less of a pain in the butt compared to swapping the whole bike.

She rides a giant contend size M (with shorter stem). I ride a giant tcr size M/L (also with shorter stem). The gravel bike I'm planning to use is a Boardman adv 53cm frame. I popped the boardman and the giant contend on geometrygeeks and the differences are minimal (especially with the shorter stem on the content) so she won't notice much difference at all. The main differences are between the boardman and my tcr. But then again, I've ridden the Boardman for a couple of years and never had a problem (never felt small).

Thoughts?

Am I doing something I will regret?

Am I missing anything?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My son and I share a turbo bike; it's a NeilPryde Nazaré which is the only one that can fit us both without adjusting the seatpost height, although the saddle's tilted a bit and he uses the lower tilt, I use the higher part..

Why we've a carbon aero race bike, with deep section carbon front wheel on the turbo bemuses me. It must be those marginal gains ;)

si_c

Guru
I'd also suggest swapping the seatpost clamp with a quick-release one, aesthetics won't matter on a turbo bike and it'll save you hunting for an allen key everytime you want to swap seatpost.

Also put some electrical tape on the posts when they are at the right height, that way they'll just drop into place at the right level rather than needing a little adjustment first.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have my old steel Basso on permanent turbo duties. I pinched its brakes, levers, wheels and saddle for my DIY singlespeed bike. I put some old wheels and a tatty saddle onto the Basso and singlespeeded that too. I get plenty of variation in effort just by changing resistance on the turbo trainer.

mustang1

Guru
Yeah I've elected my daily rider to go onto the turbo. It has a stuck seat post and the frame is too large for anyone else to use it, plus the clipless pedals. I'll miss riding it out on the road.

Get a second turbo or something like Watt bike Atom?
That would be great. I'll send an email to my boss asking for a raise.

Kidding aside, that would really be a great option. Hopefully they'll get cheaper or I'll manage to find a second hand one

My race bike is on the turbo. As you say it's a pain to chop and change.
Turbos don't have to cost a fortune. I'd not want to be swapping seat posts out either.

Big John

Guru
I built a bike out of stuff I'd got in the shed just for use on the turbo. No matter how you clean your bike after a turbo session you can never get all of that sweat off and eventually it gets into the frame, forks, components, you name it. After umpteen years the bike I built was well and truly past it. Thankfully when I retired at the end of Feb 2020 I didn't need the turbo any more because now I'm able to ride outdoors during the day. In my opinion if you're committed to using a turbo it makes sense to have a bike just for that purpose. They still need a bloody good clean after each session though. It doesn't have to be anything fancy as long as it meets the basic requirements.

Venod

Eh up
I have an PX on the turbo, my son sometimes calls and uses it, I have to raise the seat for him, so fitted a quick release clamp to make it easier, I have a clip round the post in my position so it just drops back to the correct height for me, he could probably do with a longer stem, but its OK for the times he uses it.

Dolorous Edd

Bought an old rigid steel MTB to put on the turbo - £60 off fleabay. I don't use it for long enough for hand position etc to be an issue.

Top Bottom