Do you have a bike specifically dedicated to the turbo trainer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Me and my missus have seperate turbos with dedicated bikes, I use a Elite turbo with 12 remotely settable resistance settings which my missus can hardly use on its lowest setting , my missus has a cheapo TacX 6 resistance levels no remote, i think which is useless for me it just cant give enough resistance. I use my ancient Cannon CX9 bike on my turbo , ( cost me 300 quid secondhand many years ago) My missus uses my daughters old race bike ( kuota kom evo) which has a broken brake bridge and a chunk missing out of the chainstays so dangerous to use on the road.
Before Covid secondhand cheopo bikes were plentiful to put on a turbo, now all cost a bomb it seems.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I use my touring bike

I have an older bike with QR on it. Partly due to convenience and to avoid damage by dripping sweat on a better bike.

I have an older bike with QR on it. Partly due to convenience and to avoid damage by dripping sweat on a better bike.

That's what I'm thinking. Why should I sweat on my £3k bike and the missus sweat on her £750 bike when we can both sweat on my old £600 aluminium boardman

I will not use the turbo trainer until January, I hope, so I have plans to build up an old steel Harry Hall frame into a dedicated turbo bike that I don't have to set up every time.

I have everything I need out the shed, including wheels and good condition smooth tyres. I want to keep it minimal so a few dilemmas:

1. Whether to make it SS or 7/8 speed with a single ring on the front and a down tube shifter.
2. whether to use standard drops or cut-down drops turned upside down.
3. whether to have no brakes or just the rear.

sasquath

That would be great. I'll send an email to my boss asking for a raise.

Kidding aside, that would really be a great option. Hopefully they'll get cheaper or I'll manage to find a second hand one
Thinkrider X5 was on sale recently, grabbed mine for £399(now 449) and whacked on £15 cassette(9sp). Might be cheaper than dedicated bike and you can go for indoor ride together.
I know it's chinesium but works well enough, 90% of the noise comes from drivetrain and fan cooling me. I only had a quick spin on tacx flux and couldn't tell the difference.

Top Bottom