Do you know a good cycling tip? Share it with us

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manonabike

Über Member
I love a good tip that helps me achieve something I'm trying to do or perhaps saves me some money :smile:

I have been using Assos chamois cream for quite sometime and after trying a couple of alternatives like Udderly Smooth, Sudocrem, Savlon, etc I always went back to the rather expensive Assos cream.

A couple of weeks ago just by pure chance I found myself having to use something called Baby Bottom Butter that my wife gets from Waitrose. I must say that I'm very impressed with it that I'm recommending it as a chamois cream. Last week I did a 82 miles ride and the bottom butter did the job just as well as the Assos cream. At £2.something a pot, I think it is worth a try.

I like silicon spray, the dirt just falls off all by itself, although WD40 is good
Tsk.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Put superglue in little tyre nicks after a ride. Make sure any small stones etc are removed first and the cut is clean and dry, small dab of superglue and poke into cut with small screwdriver or similar. Not only will it prevent any further stones or grit getting into the tyre, it also stops the cut getting bigger - I cannot guarantee how true this is but I'm told pro-cycling mechanics do this too!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Put superglue in little tyre nicks after a ride. Make sure any small stones etc are removed first and the cut is clean and dry, small dab of superglue and poke into cut with small screwdriver or similar. Not only will it prevent any further stones or grit getting into the tyre, it also stops the cut getting bigger - I cannot guarantee how true this is but I'm told pro-cycling mechanics do this too!
My tip is - don't superglue significant tyre cuts!

I used superglue when I discovered a cut in my new front tyre just before taking my bike to Spain. I rode the bike for a few days - no problem. Did the big mountain day, including 50 mph descents round tight bends with no barriers and big drop offs from them - no problem. Next morning, before we set off on the day's ride someone pointed at my front wheel. The tyre cut had ripped open and the inner tube was bulging through the hole! (Ex top pro Robert Millar was at the hotel testing bikes and he lent me a front wheel until I could get hold of a new tyre! :becool:)

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Fair point, I should have mentioned this is only for small cuts in the outer tread area, deep or larger cuts - new tyre - period!

Wades

It's an obvious one but good for newbs - CABLE TIES FIX EVERYTHING!!! .................almost.

Oh and cheap chinese light brackets are in fact made out of cheese so go gentle when screwing them. on.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
When replacing new inner cables both Brake and Gear, don't trim them until you have threaded them through.
It's a realy silly thing to cut them before as they will unravel. I mean.. who would do something like that anyway. :whistle:

Zoof

I have never been able to work out why you all, spend a fortune on specialized high wicking clothing, to keep you dry and warm. Then wear cotton on yer arse! Later always blaming the saddle for the subsequent redness!
P S. I Must get some more shares in Boots!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Soak some porridge oats in skimmed milk with a bit of honey the night before a big ride. Perfect big ride fuel breakfast the next morning.

Top Bottom