Do you know a good cycling tip? Share it with us

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I once used silicon polish on a motorcycle leather seat. It bought it up a treat and looked beautiful. Every time I accelerated I slid to the back of the seat and when I braked my unmentionables hitting the fuel tank prevented me going off the front. It took about 4 weeks to wear off.

Many years ago when I was about 6 or 7, I decided to clean the car (Ford Cortina) and polished everything inside it with Mr Sheen, including the steering wheel and gear knob. Cue very angry dad trying to drive with an unbelievably slippery steering wheel and gear knob.:whistle:

Bicycle

My cycling tip:

Soreenfruitloafisgreatsoarefigrollsdrinkplentyofwatertrytocadencearound95rpmweargoodqualitycycleshortskeepyourtyresatagoodpressurekeepyourchaincleanandlubedwaeracomfortablehatremainalertandawaresignalanychangeoflaneordirection.

It's hard to read, but it contains some useful nuggets if you can live without spaces and punctuation.

marafi

Rolling down the hills with the bike.
Pedal with your toes, not the heel of your foot. This would in physics equal more power or better yet in common sense. lol Its winter for the ladies especially wear more clothes even for the gents also. Do not go cyclying while you have a cold it will interfer your cycling, sight and ears. So please do not risk having a cold and going out cycling also. Its your body saying to take a break for the sake of your health. Today had seen a women who cycled and sadly did not last very long because she was very wobbily.

Svendo

Guru
When first learning to drink from a bottle on the bike, if you find it hard not to keep drink out of your throat, try drinking after breathing in. Also helps to take a breath out and in between gulps. Reduced spluttering and hawking for me. Also the underhand/backhand grip does seem to be easier but I don't know why. Plus it looks more pro, and that's what it's really about, right kids?...

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
My cycling tip:

Soreenfruitloafisgreatsoarefigrollsdrinkplentyofwatertrytocadencearound95rpmweargoodqualitycycleshortskeepyourtyresatagoodpressurekeepyourchaincleanandlubedwaeracomfortablehatremainalertandawaresignalanychangeoflaneordirection.
I can't find any reference to "cadence" as a non-transitive verb, only as a transitive one. Thus it appears that, whilst it is possible to cadence something, it is not possible simply to cadence. Perhaps: "trytocadenceyourpedallingtoaround95rpm" would be better. :whistle:

Bicycle

I can't find any reference to "cadence" as a non-transitive verb, only as a transitive one. Thus it appears that, whilst it is possible to cadence something, it is not possible simply to cadence. Perhaps: "trytocadenceyourpedallingtoaround95rpm" would be better. :whistle:

Sir,

This is not easy for me. I do not take constructive criticism well. I dare say it has something to do with my childhood. Or not.

Might I argue (even though even I don't believe it myself) that there is a case for the use of 'cadence' as an intransitive verb within the cycling community, since through repeated colloquial use it has become accepted under the unwritten rules of 'common usage'?

I have consulted Partridge and I find no argument to support me on this.

But can I make the case if only to save face?

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Sir,

This is not easy for me. I do not take constructive criticism well. I dare say it has something to do with my childhood. Or not.

Might I argue (even though even I don't believe it myself) that there is a case for the use of 'cadence' as an intransitive verb within the cycling community, since through repeated colloquial use it has become accepted under the unwritten rules of 'common usage'?

I have consulted Partridge and I find no argument to support me on this.

But can I make the case if only to save face?
^_^

When I did the Phil Liggett Challenge in the Peaks last year, I saved my 2 new inners and put ones with repairs in the tyres.
On one of the last descents, the repair on the inner on the front tyre gave way, I am pretty sure the constant barking and pressure caused it to fail.

So I just missed being in the top 50% which I would have been well chuffed with. So next year its new inners and tyres

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
If you have a bike computer, the type with the thingy on the front wheel, always take your average speed reading at your gate. When you push your bike up the drive/path or allow your front wheel to turn again once you have finished your ride you could ruin your hard worked for your average speed.
E.G. You've busted your guts and come home with an average of 17mph, you then push your bike up your drive and notice that your average speed has dropped to 16.9 mph, it could ruin your week.

Top Bottom