Do you know a good cycling tip? Share it with us

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am pretty sure the constant barking and pressure caused it to fail.
Nope! You just need to be very careful how you patch the tubes.

I repair tubes until they have at least 5 or 6 patches on. I do 55 mph descents with hairpin bends, constant banking over, straightening up, accelerating and braking, and my repairs don't fail. And I have sometimes weighed 16.5 stone doing those descents so a lot of stress is placed on the tyres and tubes.

I do agree with replacing tyres before they are completely worn through though.

Bicycle

I am pretty sure the constant barking and pressure caused it to fail.

My next tip: Don't ride with a dog in your pocket if constant barking is going negatively to affect the integrity of your inner tubes.

:laugh:

brokenflipflop

Veteran
1. Save old inner tubes and use them under bar tape for extra comfort.
2. Don't cycle and use your cell phone at the same time.
3. Don't get a Brooks saddle unless you want a sore arse for 500-1000 miles.
4. Pack 2 latex gloves to keep your hands clean in case of dirty running repairs.
5. Don't look at photos of yourself in cycling gear - it'll put you off going on a ride.

+1 Eye contact with other road users.

If you have knee pain go to a doctor. Then ignore what he says and insist on seeing a physio immediately. Then DO NOT EVER GIVE UP.

Don't try reinflating a gunk filled tube until you know for certain the cause of the puncture is removed.

Don't bother with gunk filled inner tubes, carry a spare tube.

Write someones phone number down who could come and recover you in case of a problem. Don't rely on it being stored on your mobile in case you loose it or the battery goes flat. I sadly learned this the hard way. Had a flat phone and became ill on a long ride 50 miles from home. I didnt have a clue what anyones number was to even use a pay phone.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Write someones phone number down who could come and recover you in case of a problem. Don't rely on it being stored on your mobile in case you loose it or the battery goes flat. I sadly learned this the hard way. Had a flat phone and became ill on a long ride 50 miles from home. I didnt have a clue what anyones number was to even use a pay phone.

Perhaps it might be an idea to write down useful numbers and such and secure them in a little ziplock bag onder the saddle or down your bar ends on a bit of cotton.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've got the following on a laminated piece of card on the bike:
- Contact name(s) and number(s) in an emergency
- Blood group
- Name and contact of GP
- Details of allergies/medication

My view is that it's a 'just-in-case' and given my commute it seemed sensible. If it means they take 5 minutes less making a decision that might be vital.

Don't forget to pack a thimble into your puncture kit if running tubs.

tyred

Legendary Member
Don't do what I did last weekend and rebuild a headset with one too many ball bearings in the bottom race. :banghead: Some interesting handling characteristics when I went for a test ride.

Oh, and don't ride into a hawthorn hedge when trying to see if your tail lamp is working:cursing:

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
Trying to brake in a Brooks saddle? Wear little padding or no padding at all and you will brake it in much quicker.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Passed on from a couple of eminent members of the 100,000 miles club: "Brakes are for emergencies only."

Top Bottom