Do you know a good cycling tip? Share it with us

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
I like silicon spray, the dirt just falls off all by itself, although WD40 is good

I use silicone spray on my chain, on all my bikes now...... I found out this tip somewhere on the net and I mentioned it here quite a while ago.... I'm sure the forum thought I was crazy :laugh:

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Malt-loaf wrapped in tin foil instead of expensive energy bars
Check!
It's an obvious one but good for newbs - CABLE TIES FIX EVERYTHING!!! .................almost.
Check!
Soak some porridge oats in skimmed milk with a bit of honey the night before a big ride. Perfect big ride fuel breakfast the next morning.
Check!
Dust your inner tubes in talc. Stops them sticking to the inside of the tyres. Also dust spare tubes in talc and wrap them inc clingfilm in your saddle pack.
Check!
Not boozing heavily the evening before a ride.
Oh now you're just being silly!

C

chillyuk

Just don't use silicon polish on your saddle. I speak from experience!

Well, I wasn't planning to anyway, but why not - what happens if you do? :whistle:

I once used silicon polish on a motorcycle leather seat. It bought it up a treat and looked beautiful. Every time I accelerated I slid to the back of the seat and when I braked my unmentionables hitting the fuel tank prevented me going off the front. It took about 4 weeks to wear off.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I once used silicon polish on a motorcycle leather seat. It bought it up a treat and looked beautiful. Every time I accelerated I slid to the back of the seat and when I braked my unmentionables hitting the fuel tank prevented me going off the front. It took about 4 weeks to wear off.
I can see that it could be a big problem on a motorbike, but I quite like the idea of reduced friction on a road bike saddle because I reckon friction contributes to saddle discomfort. I'm going to give it a go! (I'll report back after a few slippery rides!)

Get some thin Superglue from a modelling shop; it's great for dabbing on the ends of your cables. Capillary action draws it along the strands of the cable and it then binds together. It enables you to remove inner cables, lube them properly, and still be able to pass them back through the outers without snagging.

Top Bottom