Do you own a car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigSteev

I have a 22 year old BMW that I bought for £400 (cheaper than any of my bikes) 7 years ago. Prior to that I hadn't owned a car for over 10 years. It's not been washed in the last 2 years but still runs fine and gets used for shopping and travel to bike events etc.
It might sound like I don't like cars but that's not the case. I'm a huge motorsport fan, but everyday runabouts just bore me.

tyred said:
I love cars and driving and wouldn't be without one.

Me too. A Citroen 2CV is sort of an honorary motorbike anyway, rather than a car.:angel:

Nodoors003.jpg

KEEF

Veteran
Volvo 940 1993 Purchased for princely sum of £10.00:biggrin: two years ago it is the best car I have owned:biggrin:. Weekend use only as we use company transport otherwise.

Pottsy

Yes. Lotus Elise 135R Sport.

I reckon I can actually carry more in 2 sets of panniers and handle-bar bag on my Surly Long Haul Trucker. :angel:

Rewind said:
Yes, I'm a complete petrolhead, I hire one while I'm in UK and have two "interesting" cars in Bahrain that don't do much mileage. Also my company car in Bahrain which is my daily driver. Only one driving licence in the family, mine, can't claim to be an eco warrior then......!

Would cycle to work in Bahrain but I'm not ready to die yet, I'll stick to Friday/Saturday morning and mid week evening rides in the quieter places.

Rewind

"No-one is ever old enough to know better"

Bahrainapril2008059.jpg

:angel:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Brahan said:
I have a Golf estate TD. It's an absolute tank and has taken loads of abuse. 140k and still going strong.

You remind me of a review I once saw in a motoring mag back in the '70s, when Volvos really were Volvos. It was one of those potted summary type things...

Ford Sierra: Pros - economical, comfortable; Cons - bland, boring drive; Summary - reliable value for money motoring

The Volvo one read: Pros - built like a tank; Cons - looks like a tank; Summary - good God, it's a tank

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
John the Monkey said:
There's that, but there's also people like my former next door neighbours, who had five cars at last count (one for every member of the family of driving age, plus a taxi that the pater familias earned his living with).

Yes, that's like my family - I'm the only one without a car and that makes me feel oddly proud.

That said, my Dad has a company car, so it costs him diddly squat, and he's coming up for retirement soon, but still.

My Mum and Dad now have their Bus passes and use public transport cautiously as if they were exploring the surface of Mars for the first time, it's mildly pathetic to watch.

That said, I hate buses too, so I don't exactly blame them! ;)

ChrisKH

Guru
Yes, I have a car that is only used at weekends to take the boys to football and rugby. Other than that I don't use it. My wife on the other hand.......

There is a family of five across the road, with three sons all of driving age. We worked out that between them, and including company cars and vans that they have nine vehicles. No wonder I can never get out of my drive.

Proto

Legendary Member
Yep, got three.

1) Volvo V50 Estate, family hack, company hack, bike transporter

2) Peugeot 306 hatchback, old, family hack, teenage daughter's runaround, dents in every panel, filthy, boot full of junk

3) Citroen 2CV, restorataion project (getting close to finishing, might even start her up this weekend)

4) Some motorbikes ;)

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I am no Eco warrior, more just an Eco Worrier, and I conclude that if all cars and other road transport, as well as everything else (boats, planes and so on) were as clean as pedal bikes, then I'd have no problems with it.

Don't get me wrong, Gl*bal W**ming is one thing, but I'm actually talking about simply cutting the amount of pollution as a whole so that things are more cleaner. It's a no brainer, really and I applaud those who are finding alternative forms of fuel and power for their vehicles (just as long as it doesn't do damage in some other way that is), as well finding cleaner energy as a whole for our heating etc.

I conclude that trains also produce pollution, and steps are being taken in the industry, but still, a train carrying several hundred people is surely better than several hundred individual cars on the road??
And just look at the amount of lorries on the roads, it's obscene!

In short, make everything (including trains) as clean as possible and I wont be so bothered about it!!

In fact, give me an emission free vehicle and I might just use it ...oh no wait, I already have one, it's called a BIKE!! ;)

Proto

Legendary Member
beancounter said:
I do have a car but I don't use it very much. We use the wife's more economical Mini for running around in and I usually get to work by cycle or motorbike.

It's still nice to use on the odd occasion, for instance ferrying elderly family around.

Here t'is...

bc

You haven't mentioned your fleet of Ducatis ..........................

Top Bottom