Do you prefer flat bars or drop bars and why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
iv'e had cowhorns , you have bullhorns , anyone got any gender neutral bars? Pics please
My light tourer,

I'm a bit of a convert. I used to love my flats, but since I got drops I am enjoying the ability to change positions. I'm not confident enough yet to use the actual drops much but I like switching between the hoods and the tops.
well you are surely riding a flat bar bike with bar ends?

Bar ends are lifesaver for me, at least you can adjust every so often, still nowhere near as good as drops for comfort, even on gnarley gravel like my ride yesterday :okay:

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

I don’t think s/he has bought a bike yet, hence the question?
I bought a road bike very recently I am very happy with it. I prefer it a lot more than any hybrid bike I have ever ridden. The light weight is the highlight for me and I also like the fact that you don't sit too high up so I feel a lot safer and it is easier to get off the bike at traffic lights.

I dont use bar ends
:smile:
well that's your choice as well.
was just saying that if you do, there is no need for the wrist to be twisted.
so as far as I can see it's no reason for using drops over flats.
But some folks clearly like drops for other reasons.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I bought a road bike very recently I am very happy with it. I prefer it a lot more than any hybrid bike I have ever ridden. The light weight is the highlight for me and I also like the fact that you don't sit too high up so I feel a lot safer and it is easier to get off the bike at traffic lights.
I tend not to sit on the handlebars though, :whistle:

ha, I had to google bar ends to find out what they were. My flat bar bike is a folder, so bar ends might be problematic.
I have two folders.
A brommie and a dahon speed pro - both have bar ends so I cruise on them.
They cause no folding issues.
On most bar ends there are alternative holds within the bar ends.
The speed pro has cane creek ergo bar ends.

Edit - you can just see those cane creek ergos here.
Good for climbing :smile:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
It's one of those horses for courses things as said, some like drops, some like flat bars, some butterfly bars, some are happy on either, some it depends where / how / what riding.

The preference for not sitting so high is a little odd to me, although perhaps you don't ride in traffic? I personally have secondary brake levers on the tops to put me higher when braking in traffic and I prefer if I have to brake hard (I can't get as much force in a hurry with brifters)

Wookee

Flat bars with bar ends for me. I tried drops for a few months but I couldn't get on with the narrower hand position as I am quite broad shouldered it felt weird and like I had little control. Aerodynamics isn't massively important to me, comfort is though. The drops did show me the value of being able to move your hand position- hence the bar ends now.

Top Bottom