Do you rotate your tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I am perfectly aware of what Sheldon says and why but I prefer to have the better tyre on the back. It's the one most likely to puncture or suffer failure as it carries the most weight and you can't see it as you ride.

The front is often more likely to die from old age than due to wear but you see it as you ride and should very quickly spot any carcass damage/bulges or anything like that before it fails completely.

D

Deleted member 1258

Once a year I put a new tyre on the front, the old front on the back and ditch the old back tyre.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I am perfectly aware of what Sheldon says and why but I prefer to have the better tyre on the back. It's the one most likely to puncture or suffer failure as it carries the most weight and you can't see it as you ride.

The front is often more likely to die from old age than due to wear but you see it as you ride and should very quickly spot any carcass damage/bulges or anything like that before it fails completely.
Your front tyre does all the steering and most of the braking, it needs to be the best of the two.
OK, extreme example, but it's no good worrying about punctures on the back if you lose the front wheel when you brake or corner hard because the tyres gone off a bit.
A puncture is easy to fix, a face plant, less so.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
New to front, front to back, back to bin.

tyred

Legendary Member
OK, extreme example, but it's no good worrying about punctures on the back if you lose the front wheel when you brake or corner hard because the tyres gone off a bit.

I would call that going too fast for the conditions and unsafe riding practice.

If a driver exceeded the grip levels available to him, he be lambasted by many on this forum for being irresponsible.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Or gone down a hill only to find the cafe has decided to wash down the sweeping right hander with still wet detergent?

Me, Stockwell St, Greenwich, Mongoose mountain bike on Cityjets. Lots of swearing and some old learnt MX reflexes kept me on the bike and missing the Range Rover sport parked on the outside of the corner. I slid sideways by an impressive amount as I desperately tried to scrub speed.

I was going too fast for those conditions, unfortunately said conditions were pretty difficult to anticipate on a fine, warm, summers morning. So I prefer having good grip to presuming I'll read every variable correctly first time.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I would call that going too fast for the conditions and unsafe riding practice.

If a driver exceeded the grip levels available to him, he be lambasted by many on this forum for being irresponsible.

If you exceed the grip available on a bike you fall off and hurt yourself! Not something that most of us go looking to do, occasionally it can happen and I'd prefer to have my best tyre looking after the steering and braking.
If you have the newest, therefore, best tyre on the front you stand less chance of "exceeding the grip levels available" as the tyre is grippier than the old one you took off by virtue of being newer.
It is good practice, in the motor vehicle world too, to put the newest i.e. best, tyres on the front.

Top Bottom