Do you rotate your tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Isa new tyre grippier than say a tyre that has done 3000 miles?

It's questionable imo. If it's a treaded tyre, the fresh tread blocks will squirm about when new and it will actually offer more grip in most circumstances when slightly worn. With a slick tyre I can't see how it would make much difference unless it's worn to the canvas in which case it needs replaced back or front. New tyres also have releasing agent from the mould which will make them less grippy than a worn tyre for a good few miles.

A car tyre on well maintained car should wear pretty evenly across it's surface. This is not the case on two wheels. In fast cornering you're using the edges of it which don't get worn when riding in a straight line which surely accounts for the majority of riding so the surface you depend on when corning is not being worn as much.

So rotating tyres is a good idea then? You would stop the flat stop developing as quickly?
I have been informed by a few different people that the tread on a tyre is pointless as they do not clear water any better than a slick tyre and the contact patch is so small that the chances of aquaplaning is not reduced. How true this is I do not know.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I have been informed by a few different people that the tread on a tyre is pointless as they do not clear water any better than a slick tyre and the contact patch is so small that the chances of aquaplaning is not reduced. How true this is I do not know.

It is very true. The contact patch on a 23 or 25mm tyre is only a few millimeters wide, considerably less than the width of the tread blocks on even the most aggressive wet weather car tyre.

up hill struggle

I have had the front of a motorcycle give way under braking which wasn't nice & although ive yet to have it happen on my bike I would try & avoid it if at all possible.

I wouldn't rotate as in front to back & back to front as the back would receive more wear than the front and I want max grip on the front.

my plan would be to run the back tyre until it needs replaced, fit the new to the front & the front to rear.

Now that being said & to contradict myself.

If I had tyres fitted that had cost £40 & the rear wore out I would not go to halfords & buy a tyre at £10 & fit that to the front simply because it was a new tyre as its likely gonna have a much harder compound & less grippy than a £40 that is halfway through its useful life.

only situation I can foresee in which I would purposely fit the rear to the front is if the £40 front tyre got damaged & needed replaced & the only tyre I could get was a £10 replacement from halfords (other shops are available) & likely not as good a quality of the rear tyre then I would fit the rear to the front & the £10 skid master to the rear again with the outcome of having max grip on the front.

The £10 tyre though would be replaced asap with the best I could afford or at least of equal quality to the tyre that was damaged likely meaning the new went on the front, the original rear went on the rear & the £10 tyre would be kept as an emergency spare.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am a Yorkshireman and almost as tight as a Scotsman. But no I cannot be bothered to rotate cycle tyres. I just buy more.

Steve

geocycle

Legendary Member
There's a big assumption going on that a new tyre is better or grippier than an older one. I've not seen any evidence for this and we are told that tread has no bearing on bike tyre performance. I'd concede an older tyre might be more prone to a fatal cut but don't see how moderate wear has any influence. Obviously this is from experience as a touring cyclist who is not dealing with the finer margins of the racer.

Top Bottom