Do you usually ride the same route?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I do, which in my case is a 12 mile or so round trip along a part of the North East coast.

If I'm away somewhere in the car, and if the Brompton is in the boot, I will try fresh pastures.

But mostly it's my usual circuit.

I could leave the house and set off in a different direction, but for some reason I have little desire to do that.

Do you usually ride the same route?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
No, I've a few favourites, but I'll quite often change route mid-ride depending on what I fancy. I like to look at stuff while I'm riding so I'd get bored if I rode the same route all the time.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I tend to a little by habit. A resolution for me this year is to try to vary my commute as much as I can, extending it wherever possible

Biker Joe

Über Member
I have 4 favourite road routes of varying distances from 11 mls to 40 mls. for my road bike.
A 15 ml ride on the river tow path is a favourite for my hybrid. (no hills :rolleyes: )
I also like to doodle around Harlow cycle tracks with either the hybrid or road bike. I can get up to 20 mls or more from that. I often use that as a recovery ride and take my time.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Mine is a mixture. I do have a set of regular routes and I will often ride the same one several times in a row, then get bored and vary it a bit.

Although I'm lucky enough to have good cycling country all around me, access to the routes is easiest from one side of my village so the majority of my rides start off in that direction.

Having got a bit stuck in my ways I plan this year to try and go a bit further afield from time to time.

RWright

Guru
I use two or three routes for fitness rides about all the time. They are all on faster speed limit roads but they are smooth and there is plenty of room outside the outside white line. I also only have to deal with a couple of pinch points. There are not any dogs to worry about chasing me on the routes I use either. They would not last very long and I never see one. I rarely have to put my foot down during the entire ride of 10 to 20 miles.

I do like the country roads in hotter weather because they offer more shade. They also offer more dogs and more close passes by cars. My normal routes are just so trouble free that I tend to stick with them most of the time. It can get a little boring sometimes.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
I love going somewhere different and spend ages looking at maps and route planners to find new routes. I find exploring somewhere new half the fun of riding

RWright

Guru
I love going somewhere different and spend ages looking at maps and route planners to find new routes. I find exploring somewhere new half the fun of riding

I expect I will be doing more of that as my fitness level increases. I have easy access to miles and miles of quiet country roads.

snorri

Legendary Member
12 mile or so round trip along a part of the North East coast.

My day trips routes are quite limited, hills with no roads to the north, and sea to the south, so I just go east or west.
Cyclists living on the coast are at a disadvantage regarding route choice as they are restricted to travelling within a semi- circular area from their homes, whereas folk living inland have a full circle of land area to choose from. :smile:

Booyaa

Veteran
I tend to vary the routes I use each time I got out, not been out too often but think I will continue to do this to add some variety and help me get used to different road and conditions. I also like to explore so have been some new roads to me just to find out where they go.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
My day trips routes are quite limited, hills with no roads to the north, and sea to the south, so I just go east or west.
Cyclists living on the coast are at a disadvantage regarding route choice as they are restricted to travelling within a semi- circular area from their homes, whereas inland folk live have a full circle of land area to choose from. :smile:
Go up in the hills!

Top Bottom