do you wax your frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lordjenks

? if you do wax it then how good is the wax at keeping off all the cr*p thrown up form our lovely british roads? what brands do you use?
thanks

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I don't but am thinking about it so will watch this thread with interest.

However a nice good clean after (and sometimes during) a ride doesn't go amiss

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I used some Autoglym stuff, given to me as a present/reminder that I should take more care of my beloved steeds.
Despite my horrendously lax approach to bike cleanliness, I reckon it's looking cleaner than as is the norm with my bikes, so I reckon it might just work...

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I'm pretty sure I've seen someone recommend silicon-based furniture spray polish before, with the added advantage that any excess that gets onto your chain will act as chainlube. Just keep it off your rims...

longers

Legendary Member
I did one of mine with two applications of the cheapest Turtlewax I could find and it does seem to make the subsequent cleaning sessions a lot easier. Which is nice.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wax will make the frame non-stick, for sure.

I take it we are talking about bike frames :thumbsup:

Never thought about it, but it makes sense especially on my route around the bay with plenty of salt and sand around that’s on top of the leaves and stuff going through the woods and the normal road cr**p

kyuss

Veteran
I use carnauba wax. Brilliant stuff. 'Rude Wax Super Wet' is the brand I bought. Got it from poundstretchers dirt cheap (about £2 a bottle I think). It really does help the sticky stuff not sticking and helps when cleaning the crud off. I polished some alu cranks a while back too and gave them a good coat of carnuaba and there's been no oxidisation so far.

andyhunter

a good substance for keepin cr*p of the bike which i know some teams road or mtb use is wd40 or the spray from muck off to make your bike shiny and even house polish some times aprently works but im sure there is lots of other substances you could use, a light coating of it say on the frame and around the bike and wheels and obviously not the rims or disc brakes or brake pads or top of seat or handle bar tape or shiters etc but it makes cleaning so much easier and i have used wd40 in the past on the mtb :biggrin:.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Simonize Max Wax for me. Keeps a white frame pretty easy to clean. I use it on the wheelrims too. It makes them lovely and shiny.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I polish all my bikes fairly regularly, it definately makes cleaning far easier.

I either use Mer or Crystal Glo, depends which comes out of the cupboard first.

Top Bottom