Dodgy ebay bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Doesn't seem to know a lot about it seeing as its quite nice! Nicked I recon or the seller would have put the proper spec in and they think it has 4 brake levers? I guess theyre meaning inner shifter levers?

Quite hillarious they've put their mobile number in the ad tho

d87francis

Have you looked at his feedback as a seller? Lots of private listings and then lots of brand new jeans, sports equipment and electronic goods. I often wonder where people who aren't power sellers get these sorts of goods from. Is it very wrong of me to assume back of a lorry or a bit of casual looting?

cycleman

The fact that there is no reserve is what makes it suspect. I sell a few bikes 'legitimately' on gumtree and have written an ad recently that sounded suspect because I needed cash quickly

I regret it now so I will take care in writting it next time. There are a lot of dodgy ads on the net. Some are obvious some not so, it is best not to jump to conclusions all the time.

Last year I had 2 bikes for sale on gumtree. Someone texted to enquire about a bike, I said 'which one?' he responded saying because I was selling 2 bikes they were probably dodgy.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I cannot see anything dodgy in this.

I have had lots of bikes but cannot tell you all the technical data about them. I like them, they feel right, I ride them. This includes an ICE trike and a Bacchetta Giro 26, so not cheap bikes.

Easy way to find out where he got it from is to ask him.

Shimano Sora gears. Hardlings top end bike gears are they?

Steve

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I sent him an email asking if he a. Had the reciept, and b. which model year it was. His reply was.....

not sure.

He nicked it

I am not sure if I have the receipts for my bikes either but they are all paid for.
but as an experienced and, (presumably) honest cyclist if you listed one of your bikes I'm sure your listing would not suggest anything but. The fact in this case is the guy clearly didn't know what he had, and that obviously begs the question of where it came from.
FWIW I do have receipts for my bikes, and also packaging and receipts for any components I've bought as well :whistle:
OCD can be a real bitch :thumbsup:^_^

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
He's been trying to sell it for months; started at £600.

It's not a Pinarello, from memory it's a re-badged Viking/similar bike so whoever's bought it will be non the wiser or very disappointed. Check the wheels/crank and it's running Sora gears.

If I'm guessing correctly, it'll be re-listed shortly ...

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I cannot see anything dodgy in this.

I have had lots of bikes but cannot tell you all the technical data about them. I like them, they feel right, I ride them. This includes an ICE trike and a Bacchetta Giro 26, so not cheap bikes.

Easy way to find out where he got it from is to ask him.

Shimano Sora gears. Hardlings top end bike gears are they?

Steve
Do a bit of research on Pinarello bikes, and you will soon realise this is not a pinarello. ;)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am not that interested in the bike Gaz. Just the fact that a lot of people jump to the conclusion that it is stolen. My first reaction when I saw it was like yours. It is a knock off. Possibly.

Steve

I'm all in favour of caveat emptor, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to forewarn people about things. Unfortuantely you can't see the full username of the winning bidder with eBay.
I only hope that the buyer has enough gumption to walk away when they go to collect it, but sadly I fear they may not by the simple fact they've seen fit to bid £205 for the blasted thing anyway, watch this space :sad:

Top Bottom