Does anyone actually bother with gloves?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sidevalve

Über Member
If you stick your hands out when you fall you'll get something broken. Never stick your hands out when falling.
How many people can fall and not try to protect themselves ? Also better a broken finger than a smashed face

ScotiaLass

Guru
I use fingerless except in the depths of the Scottish winter!
If I'm on the hybrid and popping to the shops (short trips) I sometimes don't bother, but I know how painful taking skin off your hands (or anywhere!) can be...

Drago

Legendary Member
I never ride without mitts, or gloves in colder weather. Even in a low speed off the uncontrollable instinct is to pup ones hands out to break ones call and surgery and skin grafts are no fun at all.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
How many people can fall and not try to protect themselves ? Also better a broken finger than a smashed face
It's how you protect yourself. Years of falling off MX bikes taught me to tuck arms in so when I had my motorbike accident on the road I broke a bone in my hand (one between little finger knuckle and wrist) because I had my hands tucked in to my body automatically when I landed. No idea if I'd have broken anything with limbs waving round like a ragdoll, but I can't say I chose how I landed. It always makes me wince when you see motorbike racers crash and their arms and legs are flapping about all over the place as they roll.

Having said that, I always wear gloves and it's mostly for protection against skin damage in an off I'm hoping never to have.

ScotiaLass

Guru
If I ride without gloves my left hand goes numb pretty quickly.
I can't ride without gloves on the MTB for the same reason (and a shoulder injury which makes my arm/hand go numb).
On the hybrid I can, but only for short trips

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Always, beacuse the first thing you do if you fall off is put your hands out. Long fingered in autumn/winter, fingerless mitts when it gets warmer. Not wishing to start a debate, I'd put gloves before a helmet when it comes to safety.
When I was riding in Amsterdam last month it was baseball cap, glasses and gloves. I'll always wear glasses and gloves to the point that I'd feel out of sorts without them.

Top Bottom