Does anyone actually bother with gloves?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Always wear gloves. I had an off about a year ago and judging by the fact the thick leather and padding on the palm had worn right through, without I would have done some serious damage to my palm.

speccy1

Hi,
I normally wear finger-less gloves for cycling however I've started doing smaller journeys (to the shop, commute etc.) without any gloves. I actually find it more comfortable and less sweaty with my road bike.

How many people actually use gloves whilst cycling and what is the benefit of them?
Ask again after you`ve taken a fall and landed on your hands:biggrin:

OP
OP
harrygooz33

harrygooz33

If you stick your hands out when you fall you'll get something broken. Never stick your hands out when falling.
I know that from experience in 2012. Spent the remaining week of my holiday in Turkey with a pot half way up my arm, horrible experience!

PK99

Legendary Member
When I was riding in Amsterdam last month it was baseball cap, glasses and gloves. I'll always wear glasses and gloves to the point that I'd feel out of sorts without them.

Mental image of you on Naked Bike ride complete with glasses and gloves.

fimm

Veteran
If I'm racing a triathlon then no (putting on gloves takes time). Unless it is really cold, or a middle or long-distance race (I've only done a couple of these).
Otherwise; if I'm on my road or TT bikes and in lycra mode, then yes.
If I'm on my Brompton, then if it is cold I will wear gloves and if it is not then I won't (I'll be wearing what I'd wear to walk about). However I had a very minor off recently (too fast and a pothole) which left me with a grazed palm and since then I've been eyeing up a pair of "cycle-chic" style fingerless gloves for the summer...

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Mental image of you on Naked Bike ride complete with glasses and gloves.
Sorry about that... (but, yes, I probably would be. I wore both at the Freecycle last year.)

3d5fdcc1b1ca10b934e1098167e563ed.jpg

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Its a reflexive response to a fall so it would be hard to stop it. Unless you cycle in a straight-jacket of course.
Honestly, fall off of stuff a bit and you can learn how to do it. I'm pretty sure my first MX crashes were flailing nightmares, my later ones were more controlled tumbles. I never injured myself doing MX. I wasn't very good, so I fell off a lot (but I wasn't very good, so rarely very quickly!). Once you've learnt it, it just sits there and is quite transferable. I've not had many bicycle offs (very few if any where I've tumbled away from the bike) and I'm yet to do anything more than soft tissue damage.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I learnt to fall by goalkeeping in a sportshall and now always try to roll rather than sticking hands out. It is probably why I broke my humerus last year though as my upper arm hit before I had chance to get my shoulder round.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Hi,
I normally wear finger-less gloves for cycling however I've started doing smaller journeys (to the shop, commute etc.) without any gloves. I actually find it more comfortable and less sweaty with my road bike.

How many people actually use gloves whilst cycling and what is the benefit of them?
I only wear gloves in the winter. oh... and when I'm getting stuff out of the oven.

Top Bottom