Does anyone actually bother with gloves?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
I always roll with full finger gloves. There's nothing like a luminous birdie.

Sometimes however I forget my gloves at home and it feels very refreshing to have direct contact with the handlebars and wind going thru your the fingers.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Sometimes however I forget my gloves at home and it feels very refreshing to have direct contact with the handlebars and wind going thru your the fingers.
I find grips, and bar tape, sticky. That's another reason I hate forgetting gloves actually, I don't like the feel of the grips.

[QUOTE 3774949, member: 9609"]I suppose if you're a helmet wearer you can just go in head first without a care - I haven't fallen off yet (go on fate I dare you) but I reckon I will be going in hands first so I will stick with my old gardening gloves.[/QUOTE]
I still wear gloves, for padding on front for vibration when riding and to offer some minimal protection for knuckles if falling.

How many people can fall and not try to protect themselves ? Also better a broken finger than a smashed face
You think putting your hand out is "protecting" yourself? What about learning to fall properly? Surely that would be a better idea?

I know that from experience in 2012. Spent the remaining week of my holiday in Turkey with a pot half way up my arm, horrible experience!
Indeed. Yet people still fail to learn how to fall without sticking their hands out. As we can see in this thread...

easier said than not done! Instinct takes over in a rapid ejection.
You need to learn to overcome this "instinct" (which isn't actually instinct but learned behaviour) and stop injuring yourself more than is required.

Feel free to check the scars on my "contact points" and the lack of broken bones as testament to not having to put out you hands and knowing how to "manage" a fall. It still bloody hurts tho.

PK99

Legendary Member
You need to learn to overcome this "instinct" (which isn't actually instinct but learned behaviour) and stop injuring yourself more than is required.

Feel free to check the scars on my "contact points" and the lack of broken bones as testament to not having to put out you hands and knowing how to "manage" a fall. It still bloody hurts tho.

You clearly have lots of experience of "offs", i bow to your greater knowledge.

You clearly have lots of experience of "offs", i bow to your greater knowledge.
Scars on contact points tend to last, rather than there being a frequency of such events. I was just trying to highlight that there is a way of falling that does not need to involve broken bones - learning this ability to know how to fall can help.

jnrmczip

I can manage to the shops and back but any further and the vibrations from the road kill my left wrist.

Besides, I like the brown arm / white hands effect. It makes people blink and it's interesting to see if anyone comments.

I don't know which bar tape you are useing but on my giant cx bike there is giant cork tape with gel under strips seem to work a treat for road vibration.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I don't know which bar tape you are useing but on my giant cx bike there is giant cork tape with gel under strips seem to work a treat for road vibration.
Thanks. It happens on all my bikes, including the hybrid, so I suspect the problem is more about me than the set up. I bulk buy my favourite summer mitts as they work a treat and give me the aforementioned white hand effect that, for once, has absolutely nothing to do with Reynaud's, which is the usual cause of my white digits/hands/feet.

Sharky

Guru
I find fingerless track mits ideal as driving gloves

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Always wear gloves - full finger or mitts depending on the weather. For all the reasons above plus it adds a bit of contrast colour when indicating.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm not a fan of the tan lines (just as well there's little chance of a tan up here) still wear gloves or mittens on the bike.
For hand protection and for the vibrations.
Sometimes I forget to put them back on after a local shopping trip, then I stop to retrieve the gloves from the panniers.

vickster

Legendary Member
I won't get on a bike without gloves, I fall off too often and invariably bruise my palms. I hate road rash so no risks. I do seem to have sweaty hands, and need to buy new gloves fairly often as they get pointy despite washing but £20 every few months is a small price to pay IMO!

Hyslop

Veteran
[QUOTE 3775054, member: 259"]
alvin_stardust.jpg
[/QUOTE]Certainly wont need a helmet though,will he?

Top Bottom