Does anyone bother repairing holes in inner tubes any more?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Two of the last three inner tube repairs have resulted in loud explosions that meant I had to replace the tube. At this point I'm wondering if 'unwanted holes in tubes' are worth repairing :sad:

I don't recall ever having such trouble in the past, but then in ever had tyres that went to nearly 100psi in the past.

Please note total absence of the 'p' word in this post :smile:

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from a Victorian Terrace house, red brick, 1882 build.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I do! If needing a third repair they go in the bin, although I normally bend the valve screw thing before then cos I'm a cack handed numpty

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Wish I'd had a £1 repair kit yesterday instead of one replacement tube. I actually had two pieces of glass in the tyre not one. Never said the P word :whistle:

Edit: oh and you can't buy inner tubes in Prestatyn, I had to get the train to Shotton and buy a couple in Graham Weighs

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I used to repair them at home and re-use them later, but prior to last weeks deflation id been fine for over 2000 miles, which is pretty much a years cycling for me so i tend to just cut them up for fitting things to my frame and put a new tube in the tyre. Also the glue seems to really struggle to work outdoors when its cold, i was wondering if park tools glue is better than the stuff you get in the £1 repair kits since ive run out/lost mine anyway. :whistle:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
No, straight in the bin. The price of tubes I cant be arsed repairing them.

You must be very lucky with punctures, or rather without punctures. Only time I bin a tube is if the valve goes (this has happened quite a few times) or if a hole appears, at the base of where he valve meets the main tube (really annoying that is).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you prepare the surface and apply the solution properly vulcanising should be as strong as any other part of the tube. Don't bother with these rubbish glueless patches, they're rubbish.

Ive never seen a properly repaired hole fail.

Rubbish....
Park Tools patches are as good as traditional glued patches.

But... you need to apply the patch properly. Holding on to and pressing down on the patch for a good minute.

geo

You must be very lucky with punctures, or rather without punctures. Only time I bin a tube is if the valve goes (this has happened quite a few times) or if a hole appears, at the base of where he valve meets the main tube (really annoying that is).

I have to be honest mate and without tempting fate in nearly 1600 mile on my road bike Ive had 1 and that was only a week ago so yes I suppose I am but I keep tyre pressure at 120psi all the time and it clearly has helped so far !!!!

Top Bottom