Does anyone know this cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'll let the video speak for itself.

Previously people have questioned posting videos where people are recognisable. However, as he replied 'fantastic' to me mentioning that the video would be on youtube, I class that as permission.

Feel free to leave comments on youtube (for or against this guy). There is a chance he might see it.

He's a cyclist, don't you know.....;)

He isn't a cyclist's sweaty toerag.

Police. Today. Get them to have a word.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Actually there were other reasons for me being where I was on the road, but I didn't have the time or inclination to describe them to him. There is a sunken manhole cover that I was avoiding (the other cyclists went to the left of it, I went to the right. It was a pinch point. Cars parked ahead. I always take primary when leaving a roundabout, until I am a safe distance away. Drivers often do silly things at roundabout exits (this is an example).

Most importantly I have every right to chose where I position myself on the road and he, being in a car behind me has to act responsibly and deal with it.

Not sure about the police though. Is it really worth it?

domtyler

Über Member
Well he didn't actually make contact so why go to all that bother? Or were you performing for the camera? If you are that bothered then you should have claimed your lane to prevent such manoeuvres.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

domtyler said:
Well he didn't actually make contact so why go to all that bother? Or were you performing for the camera? If you are that bothered then you should have claimed your lane to prevent such manoeuvres.

I don't perform for the camera! Thats just who I am. I don't like bullies, especially when they are using a car to bully me.

I was claiming the lane. It is quite a wide lane at this point, and if I am on my own there is generally enough room for a car to pass. However, as I was passing another cyclists I took a primary road position. If you look at the clip, he does get close to me, but he is still forced to cross the white line. If had gone out any further, there was a chance that he would have undercut me, putting myself and the other cyclist at risk.

It never crossed my mind to go to the police. It was Twenty Inch that suggested it. I understand why he wants me to, but I agree that it was too minor.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Twenty Inch said:
Disagree

Dangerous driving, unrepentant attitude. Good community policing to have a word.

I see where you are coming from, but I really don't think it is serious enough.

It would be good enough for me if this chap was to see himself on youtube. Then he might realise how much of a twat he was being. If something like this happens again (very likely ;)) then I will tell them to search for their registration on Youtube. They are more likely to find it then.

Might end up as a perverse incentive - people will be even bigger twats in the hope of getting on youtube.

A little while ago, there were speed indicator boards that would flash up your speed if you were over the limit. The idea being that people would go "Oh, that's a bit fast, I'd better slow down". Of course the opposite happened and people statrted to see how high they could go.

domtyler

Über Member
Can't see a massive problem having watched again a few more times. You left him enough space and he used it, I would probably have done the same. As for taking this to the police? They would be more likely to lock you up for being so mouthy! ;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Having watched it a couple of more times, I think you left the door open for him. It still doesn't excuse his overtake, but to prevent that in future you'd have to block his progress through the roundabout exit earlier. I admit that's not easy with that particular road setup, but I think being further out 10 meters earlier would have sorted it.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

The problem with this roundabout is that cars will often take the lane closest to the roundabout for going straight on (the exit I took) when that lane is signed for right turn only. I think this is what this chap did.

I may have left him room (although he did cross the white line) but he shouldn't have overtaken me when I was overtaking another cyclist surely?

Also the fact that he hit his horn and he said 'you were too far out' indicates that I was, at least to some extend blocking him.

Can we all agree that he was a twat?;)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

domtyler said:
They would be more likely to lock you up for being so mouthy! ;)

So what sentence am I looking at m'lord? :biggrin:

I get the feeling Dom that your not the shy retiring type....;)

domtyler

Über Member
Yes, I will definitely give you that, the guy was an utter %^&*(). The comment about being too far out warranted one of your tricky Kung Fu/Jacky Chan type moves if nothing else.

Top Bottom