Does God exist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jaded

I like Noodley.

However that doesn't mean that we are making the beast with two backs together.

col

Legendary Member
Jaded said:
I have no problem with people needing reassurance. I have no problem with those needing a feeling of hope.

Some get it from a cuddly toy.
Some get it from a bottle of whisky.
Some get it from a loving partner.
Some get it from sky fairies.

The problem comes when the cuddly toy/bottle/partner/fairy are thrust upon everyone else as the solution for their perceived problems.

As has been seen on this thread.

Blimey,i should have known you would find fault with my post;)
Obviously there are exceptions,but i havnt seen them on here.

Jaded

col said:
Blimey,i should have known you would find fault with my post;)
Obviously there are exceptions,but i havnt seen them on here.

Don't get me wrong - I liked your post. ;)

col

Legendary Member
Jaded said:
Don't get me wrong - I liked your post. ;)

Cheers,:biggrin:

col

Legendary Member
striker said:
good night!

I have a priest as mate,and he has the most practical outlook iv seen in the cloth,i respect his beliefs,he respects mine,your always going to get the prove it thing,i did say this myself,but when it comes down to it,everyone has their own ways.

striker

col said:
I have a priest as mate,and he has the most practical outlook iv seen in the cloth,i respect his beliefs,he respects mine,your always going to get the prove it thing,i did say this myself,but when it comes down to it,everyone has their own ways.

agreed, and i respect others views and i seem to recall saying its not about proof.

Mr Pig said:
When I was a kid I got dragged to church occasionally, and I hated it. School taught me that Darwin's evolution was a certain fact and I'll be honest, I was totally happy believing that there was no God, when you died you ceased to exist and I was only answerable to one person, me.

For a year at high school I had a Christian teacher who I used to wind up as much as I could! I'd throw bits of Bertrand Russel at her and whatever else I could find to 'disprove' her faith. What used to really bug me was that she would never concede even the possibility that she might be wrong. I at least would admit that I might be wrong but she was so 'arrogant', she 'knew' God existed. Drove me nuts.

Over twenty years later I too know that not only does God exist but that He loves me. I'm more sure of it than any other fact at my disposal. Anyone can know God's love in the same way. All you need to do is genuinely want to know the truth, not the truth as you want it to be but the truth as it is. Being a Christan is not easy, it's not a 'crutch' to help you through life. My life was much simpler when I was an atheist.

God designed your brain and he wants you to use it. He designed his word, the Bible, to stand up to scrutiny and allow readers to validate it.

In my experience most people who disbelieve in God do so because they want to, not because they've been open to what the facts of the matter say. I'm happy to talk to anyone about why I believe that Jesus Christ is exactly who He claims to be and why we need to trust in Him.

My only problem with this is that God nor Jesus wrote the bible, the words were taken down long after jesus died by people who said He spoke to them. he was a poor common man who felt there was much injustice in his time and wanted people to see another way to live and feel about life. After he died some people wanted so much to beleive that if they lived a certain way and believed in something bigger and greater then they were that it would make life and the idea of death easier. I believe Jesus lived and died because there was much misunderstanding and injustice in his time. There is still much today. If we can feel that our life is for a reason and we can help others make theirs easier then who care why and in whos name we do it. Now everyone lets all get on a bike and feel alive!

Jaded

striker said:
when you come up with a sensible answer we can continue . . .

OK.

How about the primordial mess is a bit like a butterfly.

Before the mess it was a caterpillar. Then it all got mashed up and made into a butterfly.

If you never saw it happen, you'd not connect them. If you only saw a butterfly you'd not be able to imagine a caterpillar. That's the universe as now. You can't imagine what was there before.

Now - you can take a view that the universe is something like that and that it is unlikely that we will ever know what happened before the current state of the universe given a) the size of the thing and ;) the time-scales involved.
Or - you can say that the sky fairies did it.

Which is more likely?

Top Bottom