Does God exist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Like i said,iv had a rethink,and proof isnt needed if some one feels it."It" being the call to faith.Everyone will have this in alsorts of different ways,so nicely put by jaded when he lists the things people look to;)But who are we to ask for proof of someone because they have a feeling about something that gives them much comfort and help in life?Especially something so unproveable,i think this is why its called faith,because thats what you have,without it needing to be proved.

Jaded

spandex said:
My only problem with this is that God nor Jesus wrote the bible, the words were taken down long after jesus died by people who said He spoke to them. he was a poor common man who felt there was much injustice in his time and wanted people to see another way to live and feel about life. After he died some people wanted so much to beleive that if they lived a certain way and believed in something bigger and greater then they were that it would make life and the idea of death easier. I believe Jesus lived and died because there was much misunderstanding and injustice in his time. There is still much today. If we can feel that our life is for a reason and we can help others make theirs easier then who care why and in whos name we do it. Now everyone lets all get on a bike and feel alive!

the most sensible post yet.

Living in a certain way helps all of us.

However, using that 'certain way' to frighten people, build stupidly big useless structures, enrich a select few, make others strap explosives round them, build an army to go off on a crusade, set off into Africa to convert the heathens, put the fear of the Sky Fairy into people etc. is despicable.

Noodley

striker said:
agreed, and i respect others views and i seem to recall saying its not about proof.

It is not about proof. I do not think you do respect the views of others, although you acknowledge their right to differ - not the same thing.

I am quite disappointed you seem to have decided I should go to bed by bidding me good night...

striker

;)
Jaded said:
OK.

How about the primordial mess is a bit like a butterfly.

Before the mess it was a caterpillar. Then it all got mashed up and made into a butterfly.

ok, so what made the 'caterpillar'?

NB: This is not a flippant question.I am interested in your view.

striker

Jaded said:
the most sensible post yet.

Living in a certain way helps all of us.

However, using that 'certain way' to frighten people, build stupidly big useless structures, enrich a select few, make others strap explosives round them, build an army to go off on a crusade, set off into Africa to convert the heathens, put the fear of the Sky Fairy into people etc. is despicable.

I TOTALLY agree.
thus the point in the article i posted. A lot of religion is bullshit. Doesn't mean that the underlying truth isn't true.

striker

Noodley said:
It is not about proof. I do not think you do respect the views of others, although you acknowledge their right to differ - not the same thing.

I am quite disappointed you seem to have decided I should go to bed by bidding me good night...

you can go to bed whenever you like. it was i who was going to go. somehow i stay !!!!

Noodley

striker said:
I TOTALLY agree.
thus the point in the article i posted. A lot of religion is bullshit. Doesn't mean that the underlying truth isn't true.

So, is your truth true? Or any more so than any other truth?

striker

Noodley said:
So, is your truth true? Or any more so than any other truth?

one word, one faith, one truth.

so, yes.

doesn't mean i fully understand that truth or its working in the world.

Jaded

striker said:
;)

ok, so what made the 'caterpillar'?

NB: This is not a flippant question.I am interested in your view.

The caterpillar was there.

The fact that we don't currently know what made it, and we may never do gives us no right to invent something that satisfies our ignorance about the caterpillar creation and then tell everyone that we know the answer. (and they need to believe it too)

Jaded

striker said:

so, yes.

Your truth is wrong.

My truth is right.

So - who wins?

Noodley

striker said:

so, yes.

So "truth" is the name you give to something you do not understand?

col

Legendary Member
Going on my friend,and his descriptions of what his belief is,the truth is for the person who feels it,they see the truth in it,its not something you see unless you have faith,i think?

striker

Jaded said:
The caterpillar was there.

The fact that we don't currently know what made it, and we may never do gives us no right to invent something that satisfies our ignorance about the caterpillar creation and then tell everyone that we know the answer.

ok, fair enough so do you admit that the caterpillar was 'created'.

Top Bottom